Practice perceptions + conclusions

This is where the big boys play! Highlander or 6 v 6 league style!
d0n_th3_run_4ss4ss1n

Practice perceptions + conclusions

Post by d0n_th3_run_4ss4ss1n » Sun May 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Dunno if it ain´t spammin the whole ETF2L thread even more but I thought it´d be a good idea to talk about things that appeared or you recognized on latest practicing.

1st: I really suck as a sniper. Definitely a point to discuss. I can remember more glorious days I had tho I´ve never been an outstandin sniper ever - just like to play it from time to time. I am totally outta practice and "pre"-aimed miles away from an enemie´s head before I even actually zoomed in. Ic3 wasn´t makin it an easier task for me to slip back into the old boots. Incredible, man - never knew before you´re such an insane aiming machine. Props!

2nd: bein reduced to only 1 class is definitely the biggest difference for me to experience. I usually switch classes pretty often after dying to adapt to the actual surroundings.

3rd: it´s real fun playin wit you guys even tho we had to wait that long for bein at least 7 vs 7.
didn´t think that playin in a success orientated way would be that much entertainment. I´m lookin forward to the next practicin.

4th and last: I will try to improve and become a bit handier wit sniping again BUT it may be worth thinkin about Toxer bein our No.1 sniper. for 2 reasons: a) he seems to be a quite good shnaipy-shnaipa and b) there might be more options for other players goin medic instead then other players replacin a sniper. I was prolly even thinkin bout changin teams with Ic3 but that will definitely weaken the BoF# team (I support your idea not callin it team 1 and 2, Mug ;)) and that´s a thingy we already cleared not is gonna happen I suppose.

Alright - my résumé so far.

-----------------------------------------------

...mama told me not to cum...

Califax
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Practice perceptions + conclusions

Post by Califax » Sun May 02, 2010 4:35 pm

This is what these practise sessions are all about, learning and adapting.

Ice indeed gave away a little show. But he will not be the only awesome sniper we'll encounter in ETF2L. So if your not feeling up to snipe d0n, we can give others a shot at it (get it? :D ) in the next practise. Maybe indeed toxer or i am willing to try it too.

And i would like to see others fill in the medic position too. Dharma or Anubis for instance.

We need to try as many different team setups we can in these practises, so we'll end up with a well oiled machine when push comes to shove.

d0n_th3_run_4ss4ss1n

Post by d0n_th3_run_4ss4ss1n » Sun May 02, 2010 5:11 pm

I will give it at least one more try - maybe I will be back 0n_th3_run (got it? :lol:) sooner than I think now I´ll be able to.

-----------------------------------------------

...mama told me not to cum...

Chairman_Meow

Post by Chairman_Meow » Sun May 02, 2010 5:34 pm

The more I play Highlander the more I realize how awful I am as Demoman...

Heavy is far more enjoyable, especially as you know there is only one spy and sniper to harass you. Had a lot of fun playing as him last night even though I'm not exactly great at it. Having a medic to tell me how to move, defend etc. (such as yourself Califax) was very helpful.
http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198000733795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

__fell

Post by __fell » Sun May 02, 2010 5:36 pm

personally i like that i am in team '2', first it feels like there is slightly less pressure on me so i can relax and play better (that doesnt mean im not trying btw :/ ), and second when we actually play someone hopefully they will see the BoF2 tag and get overconfident expecting a team of 2nd class players (then ic3 can pop them in the head) :P

and i agree with don, it has been lots of fun, and a different challenge to a regular festers game (both good :P )

the communication has been really good too, threats are being identified more quickly and the team responding appropriately..

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 pm

sniping position - coco ... i've watched him as medic , i got more asists in a minutes than with a heavy landing in the middle of the enemy - ubered ! and most where headshots ...

fell , and i think we should clear this to everyone .
we are awsome :D
while playing together passing info - we just need to do our part in our roll , and communicate ...
(if we die , we respawn and try again , and again , and we will win , at least a fun team play if not the game as well ) :)
no pressure fell , not in 1 not in 2 not in @ and not in # ;-)

Sir Psycho Sexy

Post by Sir Psycho Sexy » Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 am

Chairman_Meow wrote:The more I play Highlander the more I realize how awful I am as Demoman...
I've been feeling the same way since practices have started. One thing I've noticed though (and this is going to sound stupidly obvious) is that I play a better demoman when I stick to what he's good at and trying to support the team instead of doing what I've done ever since I've played Festers, which normally consists of doing all kinds of crazy shit thats gonna get me killed but if I pull it off it'll be a laugh.

I don't know, its kind of situational, some maps like pipeline I'll do really well, but the first few times we played badlands I was bottom of the team for points and was doing nothing really for the team. Its hard for me to switch to 'team-player' mode as demo but sometimes when I get it things properly flow for a little while.

Practice makes perfect, and this practice is super enjoyable (highlander officially pwns) so hopefully when it comes to tournament time I will be able to perform to a standard that people can be pleased with :)
Happy to be here.

Eledh

Post by Eledh » Mon May 03, 2010 1:09 am

Hey Psycho, if it interests you, there is a site where most league game demos are posted, some are all viewpoints, some are from one player, so you could search for videos taken from the Demoman's viewpoint and see what they do. I assume they have Highlander videos as well as 6v6 but even the 6v6 videos would give you some idea of the usual things to do.

If you haven't played a demo in TF2 before just google for how to do it, it's pretty simple.

Also, try not to pick demos that are too old, they don't work anymore on newer versions of TF2 sadly.

Address: http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/home/

Note: "demo" in the above post references a recorded TF2 demo file, not the Demoman :P

Califax

Post by Califax » Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Eledh wrote: If you haven't played a demo in TF2 before just google for how to do it, it's pretty simple.
Read all about it: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Help:Recording_demos

In the 6vs6 competition everyone MUST record demo's when matches are played. EVERYONE! So you can prove you were not cheating when you're on an awesome killstreak. This weekend i found some plugin which will automaticly start recording when you make a killstreak of more then 4, but still have to test it. (wednesday when i'm back home)

Not sure the highlander rules will be the same, but it is always good to record demo's during matches.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 am

just noticed it - will play medic with pleasure , but im no match for putte or tox :D