Server Sounds

All questions will get our full attention

Should Fester's Place get awesome sounds?

Yes please!
46%
Uuhhhm, Why?
21%
No, i don't like spam, I DON'T LIKE SPAM!
33%

Total votes: 24

German

Server Sounds

Post by German » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Hey guys, i just had a great idea!

Once upon a time FB had a server, a public server. We used the sound plugin for it and i still have all the sounds we used.
Personally i really love the sound plugin. i would love to see it on festersplace, and ofcourse only the admins can trigger the sounds so it won't become a mess.
Vote if you would like it or not, i've got 50 + short samples (from all kinds of movies, cartoons and other known shit).
let me know, i would love to hear the sounds on Fester's Place!
I'll pack all the sounds and update this post with the dl link.

Johnimus Prime
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Re: Server Sounds

Post by Johnimus Prime » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:44 pm

I think we have enough problems distinguising noises from alltalk being on lol. Just let Bosco sing
"Quit your whinging, lets start binging'"

Fester
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Fester » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Ideas always welcome German good on ya we used to run quake sounds must only used them for a day lol but admin are now in talks about your idea :)

fester :ugeek:

kab

Post by kab » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:31 pm

I don't believe that such sound samples would be a good addition to the server.

Depending on people's ingame download setting (1.all custom files 2. everything, but custom sounds 3. no custom files), they may not even hear them. The setting (2) has been introduced , because such sound packs are a major source for spam.

Restricting the access to admins will force a download unto anyone that joins the server and accepts custom sounds. However, they will not be able to use them and if the admins use these sounds in an responsible way , players will not hear them too often. What about Joe Pub Player that only joins for 1 game and never ever again. Not sure how this translates into Bandwidth use that could be put to better use to fight complains of being fragged because of "Lag!?".

Cliffs:
- Please do not.

German

Post by German » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 pm

mhm, let me explain how we used them on the FB server.

We only had like 5 or 10 favorites, so that's 20 seconds of downloading it's smaller than a custom map so i don't see a problem there unless you have a 56k6 modem up and running ;) . and about the bandwith lagg thing, that's not a problem because the files will be hosted from a separate server (right?). And ofcourse there will be no soundspamming by the admins (i presume).
So let's say we're all playing on get fried days beer mash up, trust me, i know a couple of sounds that everybody would love! jsut check out the sounds:
some sounds can be found here I will upload some more later.

also: keep in mind that people who disable downloads won't probably be regulars, so if they can't join, who cares? :D

PS: don't mind the .ds store files, something that has to do with mac osx :P

Zed
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Zed » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:00 am

if you have ever been to a server called "2fort2furious" they have a plugin that uses the MOTD thing to stream sounds and music from there own database of tunes and what not. anyone can upload stuff to it. im guessing there are almost 1000 different mp3's to choose from. its fucking great. you use chat commands like "!p r/rickroll". and only you hear it unless an admin uses "!pall" which will play it for everyone. you can stop them by saying "!stop". i would kill to have it on FP.

[U2OP] Willy

Post by [U2OP] Willy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 am

I myself liked the Party Mod. I got to see it on a server one time. So I'd be up for some new sounds as long as they fit. Like I don't want to hear chewbocka every time I shoot my weapon.... Funny at first but It'd get kind of ignoring after awhile. :mrgreen:
Watch me play LIVE http://www.xfire.com/live_video/willkillyaquick/ if I am on and Broadcasting

-Spooky-

Post by -Spooky- » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:38 am

Ya, the party mod is nice @ weekend :D
„Do you know, what they call you, when you’re out of the room? Gollum!“

Toco
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Toco » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 am

im all for em as long as there not overused which u know they will be, i can see it now, jased is yacking away like he always does and then some lil snot nosed punk joins and spams it till we boot/ban his ass. if we dont advertise em much i dont see a problem
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

cockijoe

Post by cockijoe » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:00 am

I used to play in a sever that had sounds on this used to happen sounds gettting spammed,But then they had a setting what only let you play about 3 sounds per round