Raspberry Pi

God and i thought he was normal
[KBH] Fist of death
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Raspberry Pi

Post by [KBH] Fist of death » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi, does anyone have/use one of these?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have started to volunteer as a mentor with the CoderDojo in Carlow and they are probably going to start using them next year, so I was wondering the best place to get them and if anyone here had any tips for them.

Please discuss :-D

Fist

DragoonKnight
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4
Location: In the shadows, waiting persistently for the right moment to strike...

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by DragoonKnight » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm

i think i read about them in an article that also contained minecraft. they sound delicious but they probably dont taste very good.
Dare you to enter the Festertrix? Home of the slow motion Weed!
ImageImageImage

BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by BBloke » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:22 pm

The website you have in your post should be the best place to start. I know they come in a couple of flavours (with/without ethernet port).

In essence a linux platform with a GPIO port for good measure.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Doishy

Post by Doishy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:32 pm

My housemate uses them in his third year research project. He seems to speak highly of it.
Lazyness is a virtue, so be plurals.

DoishyHouseMate

Post by DoishyHouseMate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Yep, as Doishy said, I use it for my physics thirsd year project. Bloody good things, for what they are. Runs a 1080p output, although if you want to play a video I imagine it'll take up most of the operating power, my projects more about the GPIO so haven't had to test the video capacity.

Inernet is damn good, specuially if you want to use it as a small web host, very quick response times from it. Although as a game server or anything more than a simple site host its not likely to be up to the task, at least not with the standard OS.

The GPIO, the thing my projects on, are fucking awesome. Theres a couple of C libraries out there for them, really easy to get hold of and so long as you don't need massivly time dependant (I mean down to the microsecond... sadly I do.) then your good. You can get that thing to do damn near anything you want, and with a small amount of physics and electrical knowledge it becomes one of the greatest toys ever. At the moment all mine does is measure how fast a light bulb is being turned on and off, admittedly this is happening about 500 times a second so its all good. Just don't put more than 3.5V through or you'll fry everything, trust me.

I must warn you, sometimes it'll boot and register the keyboard and the mouse, but they won't work, or the screen res is wrong. The OS although stable is a bit off in places. Oh and don't forget to get a powered USB hub, otherwise you have to pick between a mouse or keyboard as combined both draw more power than the Pi can give, same goes with USB sticks the two usb ports on there have very little power running through them.

Doishy

Post by Doishy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Oh Chris, you so silly.
Lazyness is a virtue, so be plurals.

DoishyHouseMate

Post by DoishyHouseMate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:00 pm

:P...

[KBH] Fist of death

Post by [KBH] Fist of death » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:22 am

3.5 volts? they sell it with a 5v power supply

DoishyHouseMate

Post by DoishyHouseMate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 am

only 3.5V through the pins on the side, not the total input, that needs to be 5Vs.

DoishyHouseMate

Post by DoishyHouseMate » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 am

also never touch the processor. First it can get hot, second it electrocutes you. Get electrocuted about 10 times everytime I do my experiment with it.