BEST £400 LAPTOP??

God and i thought he was normal
Trim
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

BEST £400 LAPTOP??

Post by Trim » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey all!

Here's the craic; i'm looking for a laptop for my girlfriend who has a budget of £400 ovn, i've done a bit of searching and http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186603 is about the best ive found after about an hour of looking.

Just wondered if anyone knew any good websites, models of lappy etc. that they would recommend on this budget??

TY in advance festers crew

:greentoke:

indivisible

Re: BEST £400 LAPTOP??

Post by indivisible » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm

It's usually best to stay away from HP if you can. Toshiba, Compaq and Dell ain't much better (although from what I've come across Dell are improving in recent times). Poor quality OEM hardware.
Acer do good value, good config lappies. In work now so I won't be searching for you but have a google.
Cheers BBloke! You're the grease that oils the cogs of Festers!
Props to Cali for all his ETF2L organisation skills!!

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 pm

I've tended to lean toward Toshiba of late. I've never had any trouble with them from their early satellite days. We have several Dell's at work and they are solid too.

I did some looking a little while ago and found most entry laptops started from £350. The only other options to try are Aldi, Lidl if you have em. They have some deals every now and then on IT equipment.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Thanatosgratus

Post by Thanatosgratus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Acer or dell both produce solid machines with good specs, try the dell outlet and you may find a bargain or two http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/defau ... id=1141768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MountieXXL
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by MountieXXL » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Can't say I like HP anymore.. have one myself and the fan screams like an angry bitch (I mean the dog, of course) all day. Thought at first it might just be my old NC 4010 but all of the other HP Compaqs I've seen have the same problem, don't know about the Elitebooks but those aren't in the price-range you want anyway.

If you want to get her a nice little sub-notebook in that price range try the Acer 1810tz http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reviews: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspir ... 367.0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I mean, it's all windy stairs. I'm not being funny.

DHARMA AGENT

Post by DHARMA AGENT » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 pm

eee pc makes a good cheap netbook. http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=BtksJTDENqfsnuyf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paid $200 for it brand new.

MuG

Post by MuG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:36 am

Acer do decent budget laptops but are fragile!
Dell are trusty and fairly sold but can be a bit overpriced.
You want at least 2gig of ram, It can be got for that money.
I've got dome decent prices from the Irish version of this site. Laptopsdirect

Fester

Post by Fester » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 am

ARGH i fear all the advice thats been given

I WARN YOU NOW!!!! you get what you pay for.... and you dont get much good of a laptop at that price.. what you get is a disposable laptop..

Acer motherboard issues
Toshiba Power strip and invertor/screen issues
Eee pc's = Acer wrapped in a skin
HP over priced some what ok
Dell close to the best of a bad bunch

Although dont listen to me i just hate all cheap laptops of late :lol: see so many of the feckers

Supernova

Post by Supernova » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:20 pm

I bought a £400 laptop from Advent (PC world, curries etc own brand) five years ago, just afterthe warranty ran out i was carrying it around and the heatsync fell off of the CPU, making the laptop rattle around. I could get it out by shaking until it fell out of the open RAM cover but I couldn't get it to stick back on without taking it apart completely, and I didn't want to take it apart, apply new paste, and put the thing back on considering it was a 3mm tall passive piece of crap. I bought an antec laptop fan and it sat on that for a while and was no longer portable at all - plus the battery soon began to last no more than an hour.

Moral: like fes said, you get what you pay for.
Moral 2: Don't buy an advent 4081.

I have a friend who spent £700 on a laptop for uni 3 years ago with an extended warranty. It does the job fine for our course (computer science) and has failed two times. First time the power inverter in the screen died so he had to use an external monitor, couldn't see anything. He phoned up Dell and the man came round within a week and just replaced the screen instantly.

Some months later one of the hinges snapped and the screen would no longer close down. He phoned Dell to report it in Weds lunch time and the Dell guy turned up at 9am Thursday and fixed it.

Say what you want about dell but they've got some damn good customer support!

indivisible

Post by indivisible » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Supernova wrote:Say what you want about dell but they've got some damn good customer support!
they're a little like apple in that way. Their forté isn't in the quality of the products but in the way they do it.
Cheers BBloke! You're the grease that oils the cogs of Festers!
Props to Cali for all his ETF2L organisation skills!!