Gigabit networks - is it really worth it.

God and i thought he was normal
BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Gigabit networks - is it really worth it.

Post by BBloke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:28 am

I'm sure some if not all are aware networks are changing. Recently we've had WirelessN offering 300mbps wireless network speeds as opposed to WirelessG at 54mbps on a good day.

Apart from the normal advancements in technology the change to wirelessN was to help those with big fat broadband pipes to maintain download speeds. A normal WirelessG network rarely keeps up at 54mbps unless your sat on top of the router and that's just plain silly.

Anyway back to gigabit networks. Gigabit is as it's name implies, 1000bits/s. We've had 100 base networks for longer than I can remember and they work upto their limits. Gigabit motherboards have been around for a couple of years so should we be looking at or investing in a gigabit switch?

Here's something to help you answer that.
So what is a gigabit? It is 1,000 megabits, not 1,000 megabytes. There are eight bits in a single byte, so let’s do the math: 1,000,000,000 bits divided by 8 bits = 125,000,000 bytes. There are about a million bytes in a megabyte, therefore a gigabit network should be capable of delivering a theoretical maximum transfer of about 125 MB/s.

While 125 MB/s might not sound as impressive as the word gigabit, think about it: a network running at this speed should be able to theoretically transfer a gigabyte of data in a mere eight seconds. A 10 GB archive could be transferred in only a minute and 20 seconds. This speed is incredible, and if you need a reference point, just recall how long it took the last time you moved a gigabyte of data back before USB keys were as fast as they are today.

Armed with this expectation, I’ll move a file over my gigabit network and check the speed to see how close it comes to 125 MB/s. We’re not using a network of wonder machines here, but we have a real-world home network with some older but decent technology.
Next, let’s consider the hard drives. Even the older IDE interface sporting the ATA/133 specification should be able to support a theoretical 133 MB/s of data transfer, and the newer SATA specification should be able to breeze by the requirements, providing at least 1.5 Gb/s of bandwidth. But while the cables and controllers might be able to handle the data, the hard drives themselves might not.

Consider that a typical, modern 500 GB drive will likely be able to sustain data transfer rates somewhere in the neighborhood of ~65 MB/s. While it might burst faster at the start of the drive, it will slow down throughout the transfer. The data located at the end of the drive will read even slower, perhaps in the neighborhood of ~45 MB/s.
Read the full article here

We have gigabit at work and whilst it helps in transferring large chunks of data we don't see anything near gigabit. As the article shows the performance boost between 100 and 1000 base networks is approx 200-300% ie 200 - 300 bits/s
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Fester

Re: Gigabit networks - is it really worth it.

Post by Fester » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:51 am

that and to take into account your hdd cant copy files as fast as a gigabit network anyway...

Johnimus Prime
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Johnimus Prime » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Fester wrote:that and to take into account your hdd cant copy files as fast as a gigabit network anyway...
Wonder how long it will be before ssd can...
"Quit your whinging, lets start binging'"

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:38 pm

It'll be a while yet. They are getting past the speeds of HDD but no where near as fast as RAM. The only way to test gigabit to see it's worth is to make a RAM drive to hold the data and transfer it via your network to another RAM drive.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Llama@bad

Post by Llama@bad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 am

I think for a Family Network Gigabit Network is pretty worthlesse if you have to update something.
Of course if you setting up a hole new network its not worth to avoid gigabit, but in a Family like mine its very rare to move more than some mbs and if we share music or pictures its no problem to wait a little more...
"I'd like to congradulate Llama on having the longest ever post (LEP) at Fester's Place. And second longest. And third longest. And fourth longest! Long live the king of anti-spam!" by Jonnywhy

infidel

Post by infidel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:20 pm

gigabit rocks

on more than one occasion I have exceeded 100MB/s sustained on multidisk tranfers on home lan.
Even if your harddrive is the bottleneck, and taking a conservative 50MB/s drive throughput for a modern drive, transferring data over gigabit vs 100baseT will be 3-5x times faster. No big deal if you are only transferring a few mb, but seeing that progress bar saying 15min instead of over an hour sure is nice.

Modern HD, like the 500gb plattered WD 7200.12 and Sammy F3's can manage 100MB+ sustained read/write across the disk. As areal density increases, they are only going to get faster.
current ssd's can max out gigabit already.

you can test your gbit net w/o ramdisk, I use NTttcp(m$ freebie). From my limited testing, dodgy handcrimped cheapass cat5 works perfectly fine for home use. No need for ubershielded cat 5e or cat6

oh ya....no need for crossover cables or switches/hubs for point-to-point transfers, another +1 for gbit

fyi, 802.11 is half duplex, so best case scenario, you get 1/2 the advertised speed. in reality you will best case get about 40% advertised speed, depending on signal strength and outside interferences. 300mb/s 11n = c. 100mb/s realworld, if you are lucky

tl;dr - gigabit networks, they are really worth it. Wireless sucks.