Pyro

God and i thought he was normal
RawScream

Pyro

Post by RawScream » Sat May 31, 2008 8:18 pm

I love the pyro but don't understand how to play.
Why can other pyro's kill me so quickly?? Is it important which part of the body I aim at??

FullMetal_old
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Pyro

Post by FullMetal_old » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:10 am

When it's pyros do what i do,get out your axe and slam em in the face!

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:20 pm

Toco or Mike and many others could probably answer this better than me but the real trick is to keep moving around in circles. If you stand still you're dead. Oh teah don't forget tp pray for crits :D Welcome to the forums btw m8.

FullMetal I've never tried that but I might give it a shot next time.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

tom589

Post by tom589 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:25 pm

yeah, also u might find it helpful to aim slightly in front of them.

I found that often when I was circling round people I was just completely missing them

Have fun

Emo Duck

Post by Emo Duck » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:04 pm

I've been told that the pyro who retreats from the other pyro is usually the winning one when they both burn each other - it has seemed to work more often than not for me. I don't know if it's because there's less dispersion if you're walking in the direction you're firing, hence the retreating one is more likely to hit you, or something...

Advent

Post by Advent » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Personally i think the pyro could stand to be buffed a bit, he's a bit underpowered.
Good for scattering groups and such, but no finishing power.

"Advent retreats forward" - Supernova

Johnimus Prime
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Johnimus Prime » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Yup - in a pyro v pyro fight the pyro that backs off is usually the winner as he is running away from the flame rather than running into it.

However. Don't ever go against a pyro with a medic, or anyone else with a medic for that matter (except maybe scout or spy).

Pyro's best chance of attack is a bit like the spy - when the other player isn't looking. When you start burning by the time the player realises they are being turned into crispy bacon and turns round to shoot the damage is done.

Pyros are very effective against snipers for this reason.

You can go up against a heavy, but again only when he isn't facing you. His turn rate when firing is way too slow to counter you. This technique is also good for L3 sentry guns. Let some poor unsuspecting noob COUGH I mean brave individual or someone with an ubered medic go first and take all the fire while you go in and get the glory :twisted:

Pyros are very effective against spys - ALWAYS check corners and potential cloaking spaces, protect your engineers and make sure that if someone shouts spy you spray some flame around yourself - especially when Supernova and MK are playing ;)

Vs soldiers there is no point unless they are already damaged, or unless you have a medic with you. They can take a real burning and still survive - and they have a real knack of getting a lucky crit at exactly the right moment. Same goes for demomen.

These are all defensive techniques really. I like to attack with the pyro, and for that it's best to team up with a good medic who is prepared to stick with you. Stay defensive until his uber is charged and then you can go and cause some real damage. Most importantly - MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT HIM. When I play medic I hate players who ignore my welfare! It's a surefire way to get yourself ignored!

I agree with you though advent. I think pyro needs more health or more powerful gun - especially vs soldiers fights are a bit one sided
"Quit your whinging, lets start binging'"

tom589

Post by tom589 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:23 pm

no, absolutely doesn't need more power... supernova can back me up on this one

It's hard enough as it is when i'm playing spy without having to deal with supercharged pyros flaming in random corners

Advent

Post by Advent » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Pah, anyone can take out a spy when he knows he's there. The rock-paper-scissors balance is what makes tf2 great. The pyro is just woefully ineffective against anything other than a spy or a near-death, unaware enemy.
I'm not saying he should be as powerful as a soldier, but they need to do something.

"Advent retreats forward" - Supernova

baggheed

Post by baggheed » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 pm

totally agree with jp and advent,and the point about the medi is spot on.pyros are,at the moment , just great for causing havoc and scaring the shit out of people!defensively good aggressively poor unless medi'd up but still grrrr8 fun!and great 4 novas
?