New pl maps

God and i thought he was normal
dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

New pl maps

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:12 am

Just wondering what people thought of the new stack of pl maps jased uploaded to the server yesterday. Here's my humble opinion

pl_frontier_b2: I only caught the last 2 minutes of this one, so I wouldn't have much to say. It did look like good fun though.
pl_halfacre_rc: This one started off well but its next to impossible for blus to take the second point. It got slightly boring after a while.
pl_repository_b6: My favourite one of the batch, this is a great map. The guy who made it joined the game, which was nice I thought. Blu team needs to work hard to get out of spawn, but one Blu team did win it, so its definitely possible
pl_reservoir_1_6a: Awful. Blus can get lost in their own spawn room. Reds spawn about 4 feet away from them. Neither blu team managed to get to the first point.
pl_stovepipe_b3: I quite like this one. Loads of nooks and crannies and high pathways. A backburning red pyro's dream.
pl_tranquility_alpha1: Interesting idea but its not ready to play yet. Blu team can get out of spawn and start attacking before set up time finished. Nuff said. Lets get rid of this one and wait for newer versions.
pl_vipersden_b1: Nice map but way too big. Spies are able to run riot.
pl_swift: This one was put up a few days ago so maybe this doesn't belong here, but its a great map and belongs on the rotation IMO.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

Jonnywhy
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: New pl maps

Post by Jonnywhy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Darn it, what with being up till 3 this morning finishing an assignment and all I've missed a bunch of new maps! I look forwards to playing them though, but will probably just sleep tonight.
"Hey actually Jonnywhy is right" - AngryWolf

"I agree with Jonnywhy" - Supernova

"Jonnywhy you're about as useful as a ashtray on a motor bike!" - Fester

black_feather
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by black_feather » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:12 pm

I pretty much agree with bosco, repository is nice and probably the best of the bunch, the new cashworks is great too now that is doesnt have shitty fps issues.

Johnimus Prime

Post by Johnimus Prime » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm

I've no idea which specific ones I played on (wasn't paying attention) but enjoyed all of them. There was one which Angrywolf got a bit upset about because it was a bit of a pyrofest - but that is generally the way with all new maps!
"Quit your whinging, lets start binging'"

Del

Post by Del » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I played maybe 2 of em, and dunno which ones!
Was there an updated zig in there?

between them all, maps are about 250mb, near 500 when extracted
to ease the pain and the waiting, pull the full map pack from here and extract to yer maps folder

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Cheers for the link Del,

I've added it to the bottom of the news post on the website.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Del wrote: Was there an updated zig in there?
Yeah it was, but I haven't played that or the updated cashworks yet which is why I didn't mention them.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

Taekwon-joe

Post by Taekwon-joe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:01 pm

I played about 3 of these yesterday.

pl_tranquility_alpha1: This was the first one I played. I was a bit confused as to why there was a massive water section. A bunch of the objects you can walk through. I remember plummeting to my doom after running right through a big thick wooden railing. Theres a narrow bridge type section below which is certain doom that blue have to push the egg across which seems impossible to do.

pl_vipersden_b1: I think this was the one that was ridiculously BIG! At one end of the map there is this perfectly square cave like area. Its massive. Would take a heavy a good 2 - 3 minutes to go through it. The map was plagued with snipers too. Cant blame em since they're probably the most effective class for giant wide open spaces. There where a few spies too. I remember mug (i think) just completely destroying an engineer and sapping everything with ease since the nearest player was probably 5 miles away.

pl_repository_b6: This one clearly had allot of time put into it. It is winable as bosco already said which is usually quite hard to do on servers like festers with no respawn time. There was a bit of trouble for one of the blue teams getting out of their spawn. It reminded me of the spawn rapeing that sometimes happens on avanti. A good idea would be to cover up some of the windows in the buildings facing the blue spawn so that its harder for red to demo spam them. Either that or give the blue another way out allowing them to get behind some of the red defense.
I like the use of vertical. In many parts of the map there are buildings on either side of the track. This is good for spies and pyros, allowing them to drop from above and reek havoc. It also allows the blue to get behind some of the red defenses that might be blocking the lower level.
The map is quite balanced overall. The maker of this map clearly though of all the different classes when designing each area.

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Great idea man. That way they can be played the way they're meant to be played with affecting the fast respawn on the main server.

What about arranged 6v6 matches? Will the backyard just be temporarily locked until the match is done.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

Johnimus Prime

Post by Johnimus Prime » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Sounds like a plan. They make cool maps so if we can help then good for us and them
"Quit your whinging, lets start binging'"