Dont know - Not enough evidence
5%
Dont care - will be dead before it matters
10%

Total votes: 21

Llama@bad

Re: Climate Change - Who is to blame ?

Post by Llama@bad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:45 pm

I think that the question of who is responsable for global warming is not a question that we can easily answer.
People answer on that depending on their knowledge, their believes, their interests (oil company, or greenpeace) and so many other factors.
What is for sure is that we are fastening the weather change, if we induced it is another question.
Their some globally banned gasses (CFCs) that where used as propellants and refrigeration. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorofluorocarbon) They have a livespan of up to 100 years and are the biggest ozone killers that were released in the past and will continue to destroy ozone in the upper atmosphere for the coming 60+ years.

I think what most people fail to regonize is that, if we fight against pollution we don't fight against global warming only, but also for human health, and for a higher life standard. Less smog and pollution in cities means better air means less air related diseases like asthma, and higher quality of human life.
Basicly everything we pollute in the world will come back at us. If we would stop polluting the sea, we would have better fish eat.

i think that we should not try to counter global warming with any sort of science, because of the unknown consequences.
What we should do is improve our life quality. And if theres a huge factory in China spilling out millions of tons of smog/smoke and other chemical agents then this will reach half of the world just through traveling the atmosphere
(Remember the volcano in Iceland and its ash cloud over europe ?). And since we are able to decrease CO2 and filter out all the chemical agents in factorys while still making cheap products (jeah apple would make maybe 50 euro less per Iphone, but they could and would not be able to make the iphone more expensive), So i think goverments should force companys and factorys to filter out the bad stuff. And jeah cars should be more efficent and less poluting.

greetings
llama
"I'd like to congradulate Llama on having the longest ever post (LEP) at Fester's Place. And second longest. And third longest. And fourth longest! Long live the king of anti-spam!" by Jonnywhy

CAMBO
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by CAMBO » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Well at least nobody has blamed the cows for farting.
Last edited by CAMBO on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llama@bad

Post by Llama@bad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:09 pm

jeah, basicly thats a thing aswell. We should eat less meat. Eating meat less often (like only one time a week) seems to make you live longer as well as keeping you healthy as you get you are older. So eating less meat should be something our culture changes to. Three times meat a week would be enough even for meat lovers. Wouldn't it?
"I'd like to congradulate Llama on having the longest ever post (LEP) at Fester's Place. And second longest. And third longest. And fourth longest! Long live the king of anti-spam!" by Jonnywhy

BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by BBloke » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Do you not think it's just Mother Natures way to keep the balance?

Yes, we are living longer but is there an opposite where "young deaths" are increasing? Ying and Yang? Natural selection? If you can't handle the heat.. etc.

Yes, I know the above fails to see the thousands whom suffer when a natural disaster hits and the weak and improverished are always hit hardest but in a simplistic way it makes sense to me.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Llama@bad

Post by Llama@bad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Natural disasters like hurricanes and tsunamis are not a cause of global warming, still they are probably effected by it.

I would not agree on you there bbloke that its a way of mother nature keeping balance.
Because its not getting rid of any humans. Global climate change has been going on for millions of years) its just something that the earth does. Some Scientist also believe that the magnetic poles are switching position and that will affect weather and climate probably alot more than just global warming. (Even though it will probably take millions of years). So change of weather is normal for the world.
In the moment the question is not if we should do anything against it (we are not able to do that, we dont even know what its get affected by). The question is if we want to go on polluting the planet with the informations that we have. That it decreases the quality of our life aswell as has effects and probably unknown effects aswell on the planet (that will probably increase the change and making a situation that is tense in some countrys already even more tense (like the fight over water in some countrys).

Even if we would not know that the pollution is affecting global warming i think its worth decreasing the pollution to improve the quality of our lifes.

Its not even costing alot.

CAMBO

Post by CAMBO » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:41 pm

So does anybody think that in the near future we will all be allocated with carbon credits so that we may choose how we burn up our own fossil fuel allocation?

So you may take the sportscar to the restaurant but then you wont be able to have that steak or sit outside with the patio heater on.

Toco

Post by Toco » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Llama@bad wrote:jeah, basicly thats a thing aswell. We should eat less meat. Eating meat less often (like only one time a week) seems to make you live longer as well as keeping you healthy as you get you are older. So eating less meat should be something our culture changes to. Three times meat a week would be enough even for meat lovers. Wouldn't it?
i shudder at the idea of eating fruit or vegis, we arnt rabbits damnit nature gave us teeth capable of tearing thru meats and a digestive system capable of handling it and i for one would never give that up, that and veagins scare the crap out of me
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I agree global warming is not directly getting rid of humans but is a contributing factor with natural disaster. It's a simplistic view because the subject is vast.

I think that global warming is just a "spike" in weather patterns we haven't seen before. Records only go back so far so how can we be certain that it is completely down to us. Scientists work on the premis that every theory they come up with is true unless proved otherwise.

Considering there were reports some time ago that global warming would actually have the opposite effect in the UK which in light of that would further lower winter time temperatures and with the increase in fuel costs would certainly and sadly increase the deaths in the elder due to poor heating. Natural selection - weed out the weak.

We had a pretty harsh winter last year. The worst for some time. The last time I can remember something similar was around the mid 80's. Everything has it's pattern.

I think we should try and strike a balance with what we are doing and the damage it causes to everything. I think from a household point of view this would be quite a small change. It's the larger companies that should be contributing the most but then everything is governed by money.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

__fell

Post by __fell » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:09 pm

it may well be that global warming is part of a natural cycle but i still think its better to be safe than sorry, theres no halm in trying to emit less crap into the atmosphere..

CAMBO

Post by CAMBO » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Computer servers 'as bad' for climate as SUVs

An oldish article but still revealing.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... -suvs.html