5%
Dont care - will be dead before it matters
10%

Total votes: 21

BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Climate Change - Who is to blame ?

Post by BBloke » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:08 am

CO2... sounds like we need more trees!?!?!

I long believed that although there is a case for global warming there is still a lack of sufficient long term data to hold up the argument. I know the weather is always changeable and that nothing really stays the same. I'm sure weather cycles fall into the change too.

It wasn't too long ago when they said global warming will actually reduce the mean temp in the UK. Doesn't sound like global warming to me!!
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

MuG

Post by MuG » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:48 am

Stupid short term thinking people are to blame.

Emmitting poison into the air from burning things that should never be burned. Creating plastic, Pure poisons created, new diseases created. Holes in the ozone layer which inturn created an increased risk of skin cancers and the like, letting more heat in, melthing the icecaps, causing flooding world wide which is sure to only get worse.

Cutting down our super advanced air filters(trees) to plant shitty soya thats polluted and growing legs grr.

nuclear power DURR! not a direct affect on climate change, still 1 of the dumbest things we as a race have created "kills anything living for thousands of year, we should definately do that"
I do understand however that the power grid for the amount of people we have is near capacity so in a lot of cases it was/is needed but my point below will explain why, with a bit of thinking it would not be.

It would be a lot cleaner of a world if it were not for the petrochemical industry.
For example in 1941 Hemp was legalized and encouraged to be grown in the US for the war effort to make ropes, clothes, structures with mdf like qualities and many more things, It was then rebanned when the war ended to promote petrochem industry.
Hemp can be processed to make ethanol which is a pretty damn clean fuel that is very potent too, no poisonous fumes.
Imagine if engineers had started working with this fuel in 1942. We would be driving,jetting, ballooning around the world faster and healthier than ever before.
the short and tall of it is though, it was banned to stop small countries growing and gaining any power, Because unlike a lot of crops hemp will grow anywhere.
This is just 1 of many solutions that could be used to create clean power, sadly no-one with enough political power is smart enough to invest in the tech now, tis all a little too late really.

Defo not entirely humans fault but, natural climate change has been occurring for a long time, But i think we defo take a 4:1 split of the blame.

It is sad day. :(
Oh well maybe it will all balance itself out someway, a natural disaster will suck all the stupid people into the sky or something :)

You Tube Direct Link
I do like turtlez :)

CAMBO
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by CAMBO » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this.

It gives a nice little snapshot of our collective views, with so many of us from different countries and at different ages.

And considering we are just a bunch of half wasted gamers the input into some of the more serious questions always seems to get some well thought out responses.

Saying that if it came down to us having an hours worth of electricity left, im sure we would end up having a last game of TF2.

Just make sure its PAYLOAD. :idea:

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:04 pm

On a lighter note I hear the whole of Ireland have started a partition to try and increase the rate of global warming. They are tired of the miserable rain and shitty summers :) :) :lol

MuG

Post by MuG » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Lolz Bbloke! Today was defo 1 of those days :P

Pass us over some of yer nice weather and some spudz while yer at it :)

Toco

Post by Toco » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm

personally i blame the fuck heads we put in charge of our governments for being more worried bout the oil companys and there profits then the planet, as for proof just look at the climate, here in canada our winters are getting warmer and shorter year after year and our summers longer and warmer which at first doesnt seem so bad till u take into account that the majority of canadas northern most land is accualy ice, ice melts to water and so forth
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Well if that's the case Toco.. couldn't they just say it's mother natures way of natural selection.

I've always been of the opinion that there simply isn't enough raw weather data to really give a really clear picture. I know fashion comes in cycles of approx 20 years who to say weather doesn't do the same thing but every 200 years. I think we only have approx 100 years worth of valid data so it's possible we haven't had the full picture.

Lets face it a solid scenario could be:

Global warming.
Ice caps melt.
Sea levels increase.
Low laying lands get flooded.
Loss of life.
House prices go up in safer areas. (good for the economy)

Global warming.
Canadian winters shorten and summers longer.
Loss of ice ground realestate
House prices go up in solid ground areas. (good for the economy)
Double benefit. Ice melts allowing better fishing conditions = more goods to sell which is good for the economy!

I'm thinking win win scenario for most!

CAMBO

Post by CAMBO » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Toco wrote:personally i blame the fuck heads we put in charge of our governments for being more worried bout the oil companys and there profits then the planet, as for proof just look at the climate, here in canada our winters are getting warmer and shorter year after year and our summers longer and warmer which at first doesnt seem so bad till u take into account that the majority of canadas northern most land is accualy ice, ice melts to water and so forth
Democracy isnt perfect agreed but the biggest flaw is in how some of these clowns get into power in the 1st place.

Today its all about marketing and who has the biggest budget.
So when lobbyist's who have provided millions of dollars initially, ask for a return on their investment its a foregone conclusion.

Ive always believed election campaigns should be fought on a fixed budget provided by a central govenrnment fund.

At least then they would have a level playing ground rather than spending 10's of millions on TV adverts and image consultants.

But at least it gives TOCO a good excuse for a bit of a moan ;)
And on a more serious note that water you mention may well become the no1 sought after resource again.
The biggest issue in the Western USA is water shortage and the distribution of the Colorado river water has been causing problems for over 100 years.
7 states and Mexico have rights to the water but the biggest problem has always been the expanding population of California, which ironically contributes the least to the river in run off.

You Tube Direct Link

Toco

Post by Toco » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:00 pm

BBloke wrote: Double benefit. Ice melts allowing better fishing conditions = more goods to sell which is good for the economy!
accualy the ice is what keeps the economy in the north going , every settlement north of the artic circle needs the ice road as does alaska. no ice road no way to deliver any of the goods, well at least anything that doesnt fit in the cargo hold of a plane

as much as i hate to say it, it seems that the more safeguards ur government has the easier the rejects get elected, the fewer the safeguards the more likly u end up with some tyrant for 20+years that fucks u anyways either way its the people who get fucked in the end
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:09 pm

The big burning ball in space has a lot to do with weather changes over the last couple million years :P while we are helping to heat the planet the sun is also going through some changes. there was some fears last year of "dead spots" area's of the sun that dont burn as hot as they used to.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/rea ... pdate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But generally too very difficult subjects to get any real answers on are weather and climate change, tis all guessing! like Bloke has said the data dont go back far enough to really understand what is going on. there is plenty of rumors and maybes though!

also anyone worried about the fact the magnetic poles maybe switching? more propaganda and rumors but maybe tis true!

Also: i learned a lot about Canada from Ice Road Truckers Toco! :D fecking right they need the Ice Roads :P