5%
Dont care - will be dead before it matters
10%

Total votes: 21

CAMBO
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Climate Change - Who is to blame ?

Post by CAMBO » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Nice easy to follow set of articles related to the shrinking ice cap in the arctic in Nature.com
http://www.nature.com/news/2011/111012/ ... 8172a.html

So the question is - WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THIS?

Avenging

Re: Climate Change - Who is to blame ?

Post by Avenging » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Nobody - Climate has changed throught time

dreamachine
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by dreamachine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:13 pm

voted nobody, but man certainly aint helping.
what i hate is when the govt get onto normal everyday people about cutting their carbon emissions etc when its the big businesses that're are to blame. me turning my telly off on a night instead of putting it on standby doesnt do diddly-squat compared to what some factory's belching out 24/7
Fantasy Football: 147479-37758

Renax

Post by Renax » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:05 pm

dreamachine wrote:voted nobody, but man certainly aint helping.
true dat
Ren, Just Ren!

CAMBO

Post by CAMBO » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:21 pm

dreamachine wrote:voted nobody, but man certainly aint helping.
what i hate is when the govt get onto normal everyday people about cutting their carbon emissions etc when its the big businesses that're are to blame. me turning my telly off on a night instead of putting it on standby doesnt do diddly-squat compared to what some factory's belching out 24/7
i know what you are saying there.

my pet hate is people that buy low emmisions cars and then use them lots and replace them often.
they never look at the whole life impact of the vehicle.
im sticking with me v8.

__fell

Post by __fell » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:01 pm

the problem with the new low emission cars (or so i read) is that altho they may be cleaner to run, the parts they are made up of are flown from all over the world, maybe from sources that are non too green.. its pretty tricky to find out the entire story of a product, especially as 'environmentally friendly' has become a tag that companies use to sell their stuff.

and as for the have humans caused climate change question? i dont really know everything about that but a lot of the emissions from human activity is poison and that can never be a good thing..

DragoonKnight
Location: In the shadows, waiting persistently for the right moment to strike...

Post by DragoonKnight » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 pm

MAN AKA DONS FAULT.
Dare you to enter the Festertrix? Home of the slow motion Weed!
ImageImageImage

Fester

Post by Fester » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Tis all some what natural but man do a damned good job of heating this rock up!

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:57 pm

There is always the argument that simply put it's the oil barons. Cars can do high MPG if the engineers were left to it. It's been proved they can produce a 2 seat sports car that can do 80 mpg. Yet increased mpg means decreased petrol sales which would ulitmately hurt the economy!!!!

I bet the first person to invent free energy meets a very quick death!
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

CAMBO

Post by CAMBO » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:54 am

BBloke wrote:There is always the argument that simply put it's the oil barons. Cars can do high MPG if the engineers were left to it. It's been proved they can produce a 2 seat sports car that can do 80 mpg. Yet increased mpg means decreased petrol sales which would ulitmately hurt the economy!!!!

I bet the first person to invent free energy meets a very quick death!
Mitsubishi designed a much more economical engine using Lean Burn technology, before the worldwide advent of compulsory usage of catalytic converters.

At the time these petrol engines were delivering diesel like economy but never took off as they were unable to be used in conjuction with a 'CAT'.

And a 'CAT' actually is designed to clean up a dirty engine, rather than have a clean engine in the 1st place and no 'CAT' to clean up the emmisions.

The Catalytic Convertere itself is a monstrosity to the enviroment.

From Wikipedia
Although catalytic converters are effective at removing hydrocarbons and other harmful emissions, they do not solve the fundamental problem created by burning a fossil fuel. In addition to water, the main combustion product in exhaust gas leaving the engine — through a catalytic converter or not — is carbon dioxide (CO2).Carbon dioxide produced from fossil fuels is one of the greenhouse gases indicated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to be a "most likely" cause of global warming. Additionally, the U.S. EPA has stated catalytic converters are a significant and growing cause of global warming, because of their release of nitrous oxide (N2O), a greenhouse gas over three hundred times more potent than carbon dioxide.
Catalytic converter production requires palladium or platinum; part of the world supply of these precious metals is produced near Norilsk, Russia, where the industry (among others) has caused Norilsk to be added to Time magazine's list of most-polluted places.