Still read books ? then read on

Share your cool and dodgy links with your friends
CAMBO
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Still read books ? then read on

Post by CAMBO » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Im not sure how many of you still read, other than for academic or employment reasons and a game manual doesnt count Dragoon.

Im currently reading The Artificial Ape
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artificial-Ape- ... 394&sr=1-1

here is an excerpt from the publisher
A breakthrough theory that tools and technology are the real drivers of human evolution.

Although humans are one of the great apes, along with chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans, we are remarkably different from them. Unlike our cousins who subsist on raw food, spend their days and nights outdoors, and wear a thick coat of hair, humans are entirely dependent on artificial things, such as clothing, shelter, and the use of tools, and would die in nature without them. Yet, despite our status as the weakest ape, we are the masters of this planet. Given these inherent deficits, how did humans come out on top?

In this fascinating new account of our origins, leading archaeologist Timothy Taylor proposes a new way of thinking about human evolution through our relationship with objects. Drawing on the latest fossil evidence, Taylor argues that at each step of our species' development, humans made choices that caused us to assume greater control of our evolution. Our appropriation of objects allowed us to walk upright, lose our body hair, and grow significantly larger brains. As we push the frontiers of scientific technology, creating prosthetics, intelligent implants, and artificially modified genes, we continue a process that started in the prehistoric past, when we first began to extend our powers through objects.

Weaving together lively discussions of major discoveries of human skeletons and artifacts with a reexamination of Darwin's theory of evolution, Taylor takes us on an exciting and challenging journey that begins to answer the fundamental question about our existence: what makes humans unique, and what does that mean for our future?
Clearly, if you believe in God or the Tooth Fairy then dont bother.

DragoonKnight
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4
Location: In the shadows, waiting persistently for the right moment to strike...

Re: Still read books ? then read on

Post by DragoonKnight » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 pm

CAMBO wrote:Im not sure how many of you still read, other than for academic or employment reasons and a game manual doesnt count Dragoon.
u cheeky fk i sometimes read the newspaper ^^
Dare you to enter the Festertrix? Home of the slow motion Weed!
ImageImageImage

dreamachine
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by dreamachine » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:12 pm

DragoonKnight wrote:
CAMBO wrote:Im not sure how many of you still read, other than for academic or employment reasons and a game manual doesnt count Dragoon.
u cheeky fk i sometimes read the newspaper ^^
the sunday sport doesnt count either :P :tongue:
Fantasy Football: 147479-37758

Llama@bad

Post by Llama@bad » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:22 pm

I'll try to cook up and understandable english on this one.

I definitly think that we are choosing "evolution" by using objects. We would not be able to live in space, so science and objects are allowing us. That might be evolution.

But I think we know not at all enough of how evolution will react on our use of objects. We don't really know who breeds the best in humanity in the moment. Which genes are the ones that will live on. So it might aswell be that our dependancy on objects will make us even more weaker, or that there is a limit of how weak our body will get. There where species of humans with bigger and heavier brains already but they did not make it through. It obvious that our artificial evolution is alot faster than the normal evolution but I think that we underestimate the power that evolution can have. And i think our artificial evolution will have unforseen consequences. That maybe occur in some 100k years or so on.

As we are not even close to understand the human genom only a bit I really like to see what will happen to us. What will happen with the first moonborn child? Will it grow way taller because of the lack of gravity? What if we have permanent moon people up there living in different gravity settings will evoltion adapt them to the gravity? Or is the human body not capable of living in zero gravity over long periods of time?

I really hope i live long enough to see the first moon born child to grow up.
"I'd like to congradulate Llama on having the longest ever post (LEP) at Fester's Place. And second longest. And third longest. And fourth longest! Long live the king of anti-spam!" by Jonnywhy