Can't download new maps

Oh shit call the admin !!
Taekwon-joe
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Can't download new maps

Post by Taekwon-joe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Every time I try to connect to the server when its playing a map I don't have it tells me that the map is missing. Now usually it would just download the map from the server. For example at the moment the server is on cp_ironbowl and keeps telling me its missing.

Is it a server problem or is it just a problem at my end? Do I have to go find the maps elsewhere?

Del

Re: Can't download new maps

Post by Del » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:09 pm

dunno joe. It Should Work
Is it just that map?
anyone else have trouble dowloading maps?

Checked the servers, the maps are in the right places. Compressed file is fine(sometimes a problem)

Did you perhaps have a different version of that map in your download folder, but with the same name?
I remember a similar problem a couple of people had when turbine became a stock map, fix was to delete from you local maps folder and let it redownload

But I might be down the wrong path altogether.

Taekwon-joe

Post by Taekwon-joe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Del: It happened yesterday with some other map, cant remember which one though. I didn't have the map already so I downloaded cp_ironbowl_b4 from FPS Banana and was then able to join fine.

Jased: Already check it :D

EDIT: Just happened again with cp_foebia_b2a, can't join :(

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 am

that's a weird one Joe.

I know for a fact that there isn't anything wrong with that Ironbowl map, because we had a full server on it last night, most of whom had never played it before (with most of the others, including myself, having no recollection of playing it before, but we had).

I know that when the server changes to a new map, I often have trouble downloading, but I never get a map error, just a "Disconnected from Server" message

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Oddness!!

Server was empty so I deleted my own copies of ironbowl and fobia and cranked them up on the server, connected...maps downloaded fine, I could connect w/o issue.

So server side, things look ok, but that get's us no nearer to fixing your problem
Apart from jase's suggestion the only other thing I can think of is that you have a problem connecting to our maps server for some reason.

Does this link work?
If it does, you can connect to the maps server ok, so it must be a client specific problem.

Lazy Beagle, you say you have troubles too? tells me more. Everything should be wonderful for everybody, this makes me sad :cry:

Jonfon

Post by Jonfon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:50 pm

LazyEagle wrote: I know that when the server changes to a new map, I often have trouble downloading, but I never get a map error, just a "Disconnected from Server" message
I've had that too, generally when I've wandered off for a smoke between maps. I'd assumed it was some form of inactivity time-out, or my craptop spazzing out...

Handy enough to reconnect usually though

*Edit : Or would it be more than 32 people connecting to the server and you losing out? I've had than happen when Joining the Game as well.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Hmm.

If any y'all can record the time this happens on the next occurrence and post it here, I can have a looksee, it might be logging the reason for disconnect...but busy server = big logs, so need to narrow it down some.

My guess tho might be that the client-server-steam love triangle breaks down and the server can't validate yer steamid, thinks yer not gen-U-ine and drop kicks you. They kiss and make up on next connect tho...

xexes
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by xexes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:12 pm

I have trouble as well, have never been able to download a map, it just goes sooooo slow, I give up after five minutes and only three little blips of progress. But I am in the US, maybe that information will help you diagnose your problem.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:52 pm

all maps?
some of them are huge!

fobia and ironbowl are only 2mb and 5mb respectively but for zample aerospace and hoodoo are 50 and 40mb. Those are zipped sizes. aerospace is 120mb uncompressed. it takes nearly as long to uncompress it as it does transfer it

the server is empty, try downloading that map from the link above, check yer dl speed.
then try again at busy times.

Keep the problem reports coming pplz!

Taekwon-joe

Post by Taekwon-joe » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Del wrote: Does this link work?
If it does, you can connect to the maps server ok, so it must be a client specific problem.
That links works fine. It could be something to do with the problems I'm having with steam. When I open steam the store and community tabs dont work. I just get "The webpage is unavailable because you are offline" message. I can still play games and view the 'my friends' and 'servers' windows.

Its probably something at my end but thanks for the help anyway.