friends , your opinion here is importent , plz take the time

This is where the big boys play! Highlander or 6 v 6 league style!
Toco
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Re: friends , your opinion here is importent , plz take the time

Post by Toco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 pm

my 2 cents > those of us who signed up knew wut we were getting ourselves into that being said theres no reason we cant play to win and still have fun. i say we give 110% play to win and afterwords we can all get stoned and laugh bout it
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

Eledh

Post by Eledh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Anubis, I realise you posting this thread must be some kind of follow-on from your ragequit last night so I'd just like to firstly clarify a few things about that:

- The first practice night, Team 1 had almost a full team of their assigned players while Team 2 only had a few, Team 2 lost 90% of rounds that night.
- The second night (last night), it was the other way around, with Team 1 only having a few of their assigned players (one less after you left) with Team 2 having nearly a full team of theirs, Team 2 won most rounds that night.

Looking at these two nights alone, it would appear that both teams are very strong teams that perform exceptionally well when they are all online. We have yet to have a proper match with the teams only consisting of the registered/assigned players but I can only imagine it would be pretty close.

So, I think your concerns might be a little unfounded. It is possible that there are some players in Team 2 who are better than their counterparts in Team 1 but swapping people around might cause trouble. This would label Team 2 as "the worse team" which wouldn't be very nice as well as making practices pretty crap since it would be quite likely that this "new and improved" Team 1 would win almost all the time. This would be bad for both teams as Team 2 would not want to play against Team 1 anymore and Team 1 will not actually improve by always winning.

Regardless, it doesn't matter because Team 1 is fully registered so I hear it cannot be changed. Therefore we can only plough on ahead :)

Pogue Mahone
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Pogue Mahone » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm

BBloke wrote:I thought it was a community highlander league and all is fair in love, war and laughs. Didn't think it was something to take too too seriously but something we can enjoy playing with no real overall outcome or goal. More like "you win some you lose some!". Hence the very well balanced teams, BoF and BoF2. Otherwise one would be stack in great favour to win and there could well be a bit more "can't we have him on our side?!".
words of wisdom

MuG

Post by MuG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Anubis wrote:as i see it , some BoF2 players should b play in BoF , creating a team of the 14 best o fest we have in their rolls .
i think "old" players here that meet in battle for hours over hours here knowing eachother almost by heart (as players) should vote for rolls on BoF while in practice the 5 specs of BoF can forcen BoF2 if needed .
I agree totally on this, Teams being allocated initially was helpful, But we gotta swap around and mix to see who plays well with who. Availability is a big factor in all of this ofc. Knowing your teammates habits is a big thing too.

Teams should not have been registered before playing fully with both teams.
There is no mention of a closing date for sign-ups, no mention of when the tourney offically starts even. Afaik from etf2l event page
No team should've been set in stone before actually playing with the full team.

There are players who are here to take it serious and there are players who are here to compete and have a laugh. The skills are spread throughout these 2 groups. We can still field 2 very strong team. Just gotta get people on the same groove

We can adapt and build the teams to be as strong as possible through practice. Then when we have that understanding people will work well together. But when it comes to the crunch we want a 2 strong 9s because the competition is gonna be fierce.

But, if it's already registered there's fuck all that can be changed. :mrgreen:

Just to be clear, Don't take offense to this my wonderful team BoF2. These are just my thoughts on the teams being set in stone so quick and without practice. We shall prosper.

Califax, my aim here is constructive criticism, not to offend. You've done a great job organising all this. I just think it was a bit rushed.
Anubis wrote:i think in practice we should also decide on tactic , moving as a team or 2 teams and so on.
what we do after capturing a point , helping engy , when pyro stay to help the engy and when he is with heavy or other attacing force and so on ...
Hugely important to have any chance of winning. Organisation is key to success.
But, Is it only the "serious" team who are gonna do it? or will both teams have to be "serious"?

Diggers

Post by Diggers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 pm

If the signups aren't closed, then can we not just swap the various members around closer to the date? The rest of this is all discussed assuming such a thing is possible

I'm going to echo Eledh's fear of Team 1 becoming the "better" team, I get that people have their opinion on who should be where, but maybe that should be based more on gameplay, communication and teamwork more than people saying "He's mediced me before, therefore he should be medic for our team, unlike the other guy who hasn't". This process of figuring out who works well might make for more even teams then taking the higher players for team 1 and the lower for team 2.

But if we are going down the route of team "srs bsns" and team eile, stick me on indivisible's team, cause I joined this thing for a bit of craic.
BBloke is credit to Fester's team!
http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198005020805

Mark3h

Post by Mark3h » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 am

Isn't the point of fielding 2 teams to have two fairly good teams out to play for experience and fun, instead of 1 super serious team?
We had enough people to make the 2 teams so I reckon cali made the right choice of going for 2 balanced teams.

__fell

Post by __fell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 am

i think even if the first team was made up of those who wanted to take things more seriously, the 2nd team would still have some awesome players. i signed up for the experience and while i want to practise and do my best i havent set my sights too high (please dont kick me BoF2 :) ). it might be better for everyone if the two teams were split based on their competitiveness and desire to win, that way people who wanted to be serious about it wouldnt be burdened with people like me and those who want to have fun and try something new get to do so without being worried about letting people down.. /end long papragraph (sorry)

on another note, i have been finding the practises really fun, its cool to play tf2 in a slightly different way and the extra communication has been nice. i guess its a bit of a team building exercise in a way, people are becoming more closely knit which i think is just lovely :P

Califax

Post by Califax » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:12 am

Ok, let me make a few things clear.

#1 - Registering players on the ETF2L site is nessesary.
#2 - Registering them to a team, is a completely different matter. We can still swap people around, but once the competition starts they need to be set.
#3 - I've "rushed" the registration for BoF1 this weekend because this week i am out of town for my job.
#4 - My initial teams setup was a big process, which i'm not gonna bore you with. It was not made with the thought of making 1 team better.
#5 - The team name Best o' Fest' was chosen from a list of posibilities because is looks and sounds cool, not because (in my opinion) the name represents the idea behind our teams. We are "The people willing to try comp-play o' fest' "

And now the biggest point, which i was afraid was gonna happen. The pre-practise experiences.
There was a reason i scheduled the first official practise a week away. That the practises saturday and monday happened with unbalanced teams because not everyone was there, made people question the setup. Which is understandable when you get swept away by the other team. We need to see the teams when they are both all there. Then we can start to learn and balance, see what works, and what doesnt.

But after all that, we need to remember that we are still humans in a group. 28 people are a lot of different opinions. I tried to get everyones point of view about the ETF2L in a poll, but that wasnt taken seriously, so i took it off.

My proposal: hold this discusion to when we have got a few proper practise sessions. We'll all have a better view of where we stand and what we can improve. There is still time.

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am

Sounds like a solid plan. Knowing that the final teams on ETF2L site isn't set in concrete is very handy to know.

Great job putting it altogether. I wonder how many others would take the mantle of managing two teams in short notice and order.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am

just the one comment from me on this.

it don't matter if we win or loose but for god sake people use yer mic's :lol: i had no idea where any of my team was 80% of the time in the game Saturday night and when people say "yup i gotta a mic" then use the fecker :lol: team game needs the team to speak. dont matter what ya sound like its important for the rest of your team to know what is going on. we had the most awesome of scouts (cettu) but never seen or heard from him for the hour played he just ran around owning :lol: :lol: the odd "enemy on the right" every now and then helps the other 8 people know whats going on :)

in it for the fun i thought was the idea for doing this highlander and to get some fun competitive games in?!. i know some people will want to win no matter what but that was never really our communities way. we are always just in it for the fun of the game and if we win something it would be a little added plus :D