Practice server

This is where the big boys play! Highlander or 6 v 6 league style!
Califax
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Practice server

Post by Califax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 am

Thought it would be better to open a new tread for this...

What i think we need:
- a server for max 18 people
- all classes limited to 1
- no team-balance (also so that the right people can join their teamcolour, when people come online, or with mapchanges)
- standard CP map rotation
- at least 1 admin to move people around, or password protect

Don't know if you guys can put these settings on the Karaoke-server, but i might have an other server for this. Keep you posted on that. ;)

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Re: Practice server

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:12 am

The karaoke server is already sey up for stuff like that IIRC. It wasn't always a karaoke server.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

Califax

Post by Califax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:32 am

dintbo(aka bosco) wrote:The karaoke server is already sey up for stuff like that IIRC. It wasn't always a karaoke server.
Ok, it wasnt so much a "if you can", but more a "don't know if you want to sacrifice the karaoke server for this" kinda question... ;)

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 am

Well it wouldn't be a sacrifice, as Friday night will always be Karaoke night!

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Yeah, we couldn't use fridays but I'm sure any other time would be fine. The main server is under any real pressure for slots these days. We would need to pw protect it for practices though. stop people randomly followinf people on their friends list no realising what was going on.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

Califax

Post by Califax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Ok, i don't know whether i should feel stupid for not knowing this, or that no one here knew, But i just found out that the "highlander-mode" is a console-setting you can just toggle on/off.

Valve added this mode 2 months ago.

TF2 update 03-02-2010

So this makes things a bit easier. We now just have to addapt the respawn-settings and password protect it.

Califax

Post by Califax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Highlander discription

The usual Team Fortress 2 skirmish consists of 12 players per team with a couple of players using two or three of the same class. But tonight's update to TF2 introduces a mode with a new set of rules that aims to add a challenge for veteran players and offer a much tighter team-oriented experience.

Highlander Mode, once enabled on a server, restricts each team to nine players and only allows one of each class per team. You might at first think this will make those gunfights more manageable but then comes a startling revelation: each class is now a valuable asset for the team. Medics everywhere will now need all the protection they need, the one sentry made by an Engineer must be strategically placed and defended at all costs, and Pyros will have to adamantly check for Spies before one backstab makes a team's strategy go full halt. Essentially, Highlander Mode makes things balanced and challenging, not to mention damn fun.

Highlander Mode could also be used to stray away from undesirable gameplay situations such as turtling and those dreaded stalemates that always arise in Capture the Flag games. So the next time you enter the battlefield, choose wisely because you're going to be "credit to team" more than ever before.

Califax

Post by Califax » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:48 pm

jased10s wrote:Highlander Mode, once enabled on a server

Califax its a startup paramiter on the server .
Yeah, that's what i ment...

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm

if there is some kinda of practice server it wont be to do with the karaoke. its best to leave things well enough alone that work rather than breaking the karaoke just for a few practice games :)

what we do have is the idle Jump Map server its turned off now as it wasnt been used much and was taking up system resources. so maybe we could lift it from the dead and apply the standard highlander config to it.