Setting up a Web Cam Stream - Any Advice ?

All questions will get our full attention
Thanatosgratus

Re: Setting up a Web Cam Stream - Any Advice ?

Post by Thanatosgratus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Fester wrote:i know a fella hosted some images of himself to a couple friends through one of these sites
Now that sounds "dodgy"

CAMBO
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by CAMBO » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:51 pm

The camera facing inside will have the juicy stuff!

Fester
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Fester » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:26 pm

haha i know it sounds dodgy but they were clean and safe images :D

Supernova

Post by Supernova » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Hardware side to host the camera all you need is a computer that's connected to the internet and just connect it to a free dynamic dns service like this http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . There's plenty of free webcam software if you get a powerful webcam and leave it plugged into an always on computer, I've used a couple of Linux ones that will just take a photo every X seconds, or they can be configured to only take a photo when they notice motion.

Things you need to think about are:
* Either a high enough resolution camera to pick things up or a telescopic lens (but a lens will mean you have less field of view)
* Weather resistance
* Keep it near a window where you can reach it with a duster, at home we've got some security cameras because the bloody pikeys keep robbing things (they managed to steal a ride on lawn mower from a padlocked shed and then lifted it over two locked gates to get it in their van) and most nights a spider makes it's web over the camera so we need to dust it off.

I would suggest having two cameras, one for the car park and one down by the pool where you can use normal equipment and get a decent picture. Stick a dummy one up on the high bit if you have to.

Supernova

Post by Supernova » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:41 pm

__fell wrote:but don't forget nova that you can enhance security camara images to clear them up :D

You Tube Direct Link

You Tube Direct Link

:D

JJzer0

Post by JJzer0 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 pm

I believe Logitech do some decent Webcam's and/or similiar. I know of a wildlife photographer who uses one for real time stuff and outdoors too (although am not sure if Logitech do a waterproof/outdoor camera or he's used it in an enclosure).

CAMBO
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by CAMBO » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:01 pm

i dont mind splashing out on the hardware as a number of companies will pay to have the feed on their site.

Thats why i was thinking it needs to be a hi def security cam to pick up the resolution from the height and distance.

MuG

Post by MuG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Something i don't think has been mentioned/ taken into account here is bandwidth to stream video.

1. What upload speed are you feeding this stream? How reliable is it? home or office?
2. What fps do you intend to stream at?

I would imagine you wannt go with a HQ pic at low fps which shouldn't take too much but you never know with spanish internets :?
What did you get sorted with in the end there? I remember you had some troubles initially getting net.

These 2 factors should heavily influence what camera you buy methinks.
Supernova wrote:at home we've got some security cameras because the bloody pikeys keep robbing things (they managed to steal a ride on lawn mower from a padlocked shed and then lifted it over two locked gates to get it in their van) and most nights a spider makes it's web over the camera so we need to dust it off.
Christ! Them pikeys is dertermined! :)
& go spider go, soo shiny :mrgreen:

Thanatosgratus

Post by Thanatosgratus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 pm

I used to have some free software from Microsoft that allowed you to use a camcorder for a live stream web cam cant remember the name of it but will have a look.

DragoonKnight
Location: In the shadows, waiting persistently for the right moment to strike...

Post by DragoonKnight » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:21 am

Dare you to enter the Festertrix? Home of the slow motion Weed!
ImageImageImage