Karaoke Server Bandwidth Usage

All questions will get our full attention
Tommy the Cat
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Karaoke Server Bandwidth Usage

Post by Tommy the Cat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:09 am

WDG recently (well last year but I've only just noticed) released our bandwidth graphs for our pub server which was quite interesting to see (here)

It then occurred to me the Karaoke server must take a much harder pounding than ours ever has. Have you guys got access to these graphs? Can I see? Is it already on the website somewhere and I've been a tit and missed it?

MuG

Re: Karaoke Server Bandwidth Usage

Post by MuG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:16 pm

I too would be interested to see these stats too.
Absolute packet rape :mrgreen:

jased10s

Post by jased10s » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm

its unlimited bandwidth

JJzer0

Post by JJzer0 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:08 am

jased10s wrote:its unlimited bandwidth
This is where the "bandwidth" word has lost it's original definition. I believe Jase is talking about the allowed data usage, ie it's an unlimited data package with the hosting company.

However the bandwidth I guess Tommy is asking about, is the difference in data throughput between when the server is being used with just a bit of banter to the other extreme of when it is being used for singing/karaoke.

I have checked with Netgraph 3 which I believe shows dropped packets. Nevertheless and understandably when the karaoke is in full swing a clients netgraph looks fairly flooded.

jased10s

Post by jased10s » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:32 am

Hi Jjzer0

An yes you are correct bandwidth and data usage are very different things although the hosts website does mention bandwidth .

Unlimited Gaming Bandwidth.
Dedicated full duplex 100Mbit or 1000Mbit network port as standard (depending on selected spec).

Any Use Server Bandwidth Package

Port presentation: 100Mbit full duplex
Bandwidth usage: 30Mbit 95th percentile included (approximately equivalent to 10,000GB of data transfer)
Permitted applications: Any

Selecting this option allows you to install and run any application with the exception of IRCD's, which are strictly prohibited. This package allows bandwidth usage up to 20Mbit 95th Percentile through the month. Please note: We in no way cap or restrict network ports and exceeding the bandwidth limits by a vast amount will result in additional charging of £10+VAT per Mbit based on 95th Percentile billing.

And i dont think we will ever go above 10,000GB, despite dons epic singing.

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:51 pm

IIRC I've seen transfer speeds of upto 5MB/s (approx 50 mbit/s give or take) which wouldn't take a lot to fill on karaoke and if you work on 20mbit 95th percentile then no wonder it drops packets.

32 players + x number of singing and talking players is enough for any box to start dropping packets either through network/bandwidth saturation or CPU load.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

JJzer0

Post by JJzer0 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:19 am

Also there will be players that are with some of the large ISP's (UK) which operate traffic shaping at peak times, which could find their connection suffering the most especially when the gaming server is being taxed. This is why I try to stick to ISP's that mainly supply decent broadband to the commercial sector, but have some home products that are Not "nobbled" either. (ie No traffic shaping or port blocking).