My first (kinda) rage quit

All questions will get our full attention
Toco
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Re: My first (kinda) rage quit

Post by Toco » Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 pm

rtv is fine just the way it is with the 5 min wait b4 a person can rtv at round start
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by BBloke » Sun May 23, 2010 11:09 pm

I think I have the 5 min map vote thing sorted now... I think!
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Taekwon-joe

Post by Taekwon-joe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Exterminatus wrote:I don't think that's a good idea, too often will you get one side completely dominating the other, making the map no fun for at least half the players. That and the fact that if I see more badlands I'll puke my lungs out
The whole one team dominating the other is especially annoying on maps like turbine. It always ends up that the dominated team cant even get out of their base. I hope im not the only one who finds this really annoying and boring.

Now im gonna suggest a solution and your all gonna hate it. So here goes, please stick with me. I think on some maps (like turbine and warpath especially) we need to have a little bit more respawn time (i hear the boos and hisses already). Nothing drastic just 10 seconds.

Think about it. One team overpowering the other. Any attempt by the losing team to make a push is usually pointless. Any kills made by the attack are ultimately useless if the dead players are back out within a few seconds. A successful push should be rewarded with some time for the team to move up, regroup and maybe consider an attack on the intelligence.

As it stands we end up with one team controlling the middle for the entire game. The best the losing team can hope for is to just defend. The game slows down to a crawl. No sense of movement or pace. All the 'action' is focused usually in the one corridor.

Personally I hate when i see that turbine is the next map. Its a good map don't get me wrong its just before it even starts i know whats going to happen.

Please consider it for some maps. Don't dismiss this post as respawn time = not fun. I mean what is less fun, waiting 10 seconds to respawn or being stuck in your own base for an entire game and not having much chance to do anything about it.

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:00 pm

It's an oddity as I say last night. It's possible to be stuck in the depths of defending on trubine and still manage to cap the intel twice.

There's no right or wrong answer to curing such maps. Festers Place has always been about fun rather than tactics etc and it may be that changing some map respawn times could turn people off. It's a difficult one to call and something for Fester and Jase to decide.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Taekwon-joe

Post by Taekwon-joe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I understand that full respawn time (up to 20 seconds and beyond) can be rather annoying. I wouldn't want that either. I think most people would be patient enough for 10 seconds (4-5 seconds of which is the "You were killed by.." bit). Im not asking that we throw fun out the window and switch to precise military tactics. Just a bit of time rewarded to teams who manage a good push. It breaks up the game play and gives a team a sense of achievement.

Also I rekon more games will be played. Instead of games finishing 1-0 (usually after sudden death) you might get more interesting games ending in scores like 3-2.

Im just getting tired of it being 2 brick walls smashing against each other down the same narrow corridor over and over.

Coco

Post by Coco » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Taekwon-joe wrote:I understand that full respawn time (up to 20 seconds and beyond) can be rather annoying. I wouldn't want that either. I think most people would be patient enough for 10 seconds (4-5 seconds of which is the "You were killed by.." bit). Im not asking that we throw fun out the window and switch to precise military tactics. Just a bit of time rewarded to teams who manage a good push. It breaks up the game play and gives a team a sense of achievement.

Also I rekon more games will be played. Instead of games finishing 1-0 (usually after sudden death) you might get more interesting games ending in scores like 3-2.

Im just getting tired of it being 2 brick walls smashing against each other down the same narrow corridor over and over.
Good point here, I would like a 10-sec too.
There are always two different endings on a map on festers:
1) One team has all the good players and just blow the other away with 3-0 or 4-0
2) Teams are balanced and map ends at first chokepoint and SD

Advent

Post by Advent » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:14 am

1 - If teams are genuinely unbalanced votescramble.
Everyone should be aware of the difference between times when the teams need to be shuffled and when one team is just working together better. Getting your own team organised and fighting back is a lot more useful than sitting around moaning (not taking a shot at joe or coco here).

2 - I would rather keep running into stalemates at the first point than extend the spawn timer.
Yep, it happens a lot, but it makes it all the more fun and satisfying when you do manage to complete an objective. A large part of what makes FP great is the manic, no holes barred, smother them with your bodies attitude held by the majority of our players.
We all tend to die a lot. Personally i don't want to wait any longer than i have to before i get back into the fight.

TF2 is fantastically varied, and everyone on the server can have a direct effect on the outcome of the game if they put their mind to it. If your team is getting mashed into your spawn area or is being put on the defence for the whole map then you need to change up your tactics.
I don't care if Abom, Exfane and whole range of asskickers are charging for the intel, medics in tow. There's always a way to fight back, even if you're not Pro class.

"Advent retreats forward" - Supernova

Exterminatus
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Exterminatus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 am

Advent wrote:We all tend to die a lot. Personally i don't want to wait any longer than i have to before i get back into the fight.
This. In a 32 player game you will often die before you even get to show off your skills or whatever, be it either snipers, demo spam or the infamous turn-the-corner-to-catch-a-crocket-with-your-face routine. We revel in mayhem and pointless slaughter... well I do anyway.
On a side topic I've noticed the crit chance generator has a mission to make my life as short as possible.
Great job, BBloke!

Advent

Post by Advent » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:24 am

Aye, and because it's such a common occurence i want to get right back out and try and do it to someone else.

"Advent retreats forward" - Supernova

Taekwon-joe

Post by Taekwon-joe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:56 am

Of course teams can always be one sided. This will happen on any server. My argument is not against this. I love the challenge of facing top players like Abom and Exfane that we get on FP. What im against is the fact that on certain maps the game slows down to a crawl. Making pushes rarely results in any sort of achievement since all those players you managed to kill will be right on your ass before you know it and you'll be back to where you started.
Advent wrote: 2 - I would rather keep running into stalemates at the first point than extend the spawn timer.
Yep, it happens a lot, but it makes it all the more fun and satisfying when you do manage to complete an objective.
Personally, I don't agree with this. I would much prefer it if game objectives were achieved more often. Of course when a team does manage to do something it is satisfying but, to me, the drudge leading up to it is just boring as hell. I much prefer when a game has a bit of back and forth of movement. It shakes up the game play makes things more unpredictable and exciting.
Advent wrote:If your team is getting mashed into your spawn area or is being put on the defence for the whole map then you need to change up your tactics.
The thing is sometimes the team does make a whole-hearted counter attack. They get one or two ubers ready, uber the right players and kill off a good few enemy players. Allot of the time this effort would be in vain. Enemies are on top of them again before they know it. Unless your team is still in good health after all that your gonna be struggling to keep any ground you made.

I really dont see the problem in waiting 10 seconds (remember 5 of that is the kill cam bit anyway). Yeah I know its we die allot cos its such a big server and that random kritz are annoying. But i honestly think it would help on certain maps.