Will I be able to run BF:BC2?

All questions will get our full attention
BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Will I be able to run BF:BC2?

Post by BBloke » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Is it a laptop? If not then think about trying to get a core2duo from ebay rather than a dualcore. Changing your CPU is probably the best option if its a desktop.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

HitmanTJ03

Post by HitmanTJ03 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:33 pm

BBloke wrote:Is it a laptop? If not then think about trying to get a core2duo from ebay rather than a dualcore. Changing your CPU is probably the best option if its a desktop.
Yeah, it's a desktop.

I'm reluctant to buy it off eBay because I'm a paranoid screw and much prefer to trust a company like Amazon.

Here's the deal:
I've £150 at my disposal
I've had a think and decided to get RAM, a new processor and the game.

I'll get:
BF:BC2 from Steam -- hopefully at less than right now if it's far enough in the future
Kingston Value 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... -2&seller=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And an AMD Athlon II X2 245 -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... -1&seller=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm basing these prices on what I can get if I buy from Amazon. As I said, I'd really like to just buy everything new and from someone I've bought from before, as I/my family really can't afford to mess this up.

This leaves me with around £30 which I'm very happy with. If there's anything I've missed then please give me a shout but I'm convinced this is the way forward for me, as it leaves me with some money for other games in the future. If worse comes to worse, it'll only be a few months to Christmas by then. :D
The Game.
THIS ISN'T STRAWBERRY, IT'S RAWBERRY

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Ebuyer.com have a E6600 at £74. It's a solid CPU (albeit a little under the norm on FSB - 266mhz quad pump)

You already have a socket 775 board so why change to AMD? The above chip in my 975X DFI infinity board overclocks to 3ghz easily with memory at 8356mhz.

Supernova

Post by Supernova » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 am

Yep, won't that cpu require a new motherboard to fit it?

HitmanTJ03

Post by HitmanTJ03 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Didn't realise I'd have to change my MoBo as well for that one, I'm not that great with computers to be honest. Thanks for the heads up, I may make a few stupid mistakes and oversights while doing this.

I've got it bookmarked and quite interested in that one Bloke - more expensive than I'd like but I suppose if you want quality, as well as that being at such a good price anyway.

I'll keep an eye out for stuff over the next two months and look and see if there's anything else or any price reductions.
The Game.

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:19 pm

I've found it's sometimes better to watch a few of the same items to see what the average sell price is. The last CPU's got from ebay all came through at £40 or so. IIRC, I got 1 x Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2ghz and a couple of socket 775 Pentium 4's.

I bought my E6600 CPU in April 2007 for £150 so they've held their price well if £70 is the ebay benchmark.

HitmanTJ03

Post by HitmanTJ03 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:50 pm

OK, well I decided that I would buy everything today. Once I had, I realised that I get a third off today - was tres pleased.

In the end went for:

http://www.dabs.com/products/crucial-2g ... s=52310000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Pe ... -Ratio-65W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not bad for a total of £140 (inc. BFBC2) methinks.

Can't wait till I get everything set up and can play.

Have two more exams, one thursday and then next friday, so will be playing between the two of them and then will really be going at it after next week.

Hopefully catch many of you on there :-D :gun:
The Game.

Exterminatus
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Exterminatus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:55 pm

A friend had a similar problem when she got GTA4 and she learned something important from it - covering minimum requirements means the game will run. Covering recommended requirements means the game will run AND be playable ;) Hope for you it ends up the latter, good luck!
Great job, BBloke!