Summer tournament - Ideas needed!

Oldmeme & Chairman's Saturday night fun and games
oldmeme

Summer tournament - Ideas needed!

Post by oldmeme » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Alrighty everyone, I'll be gone from Sunday the 2nd to the following weekend, or thereabouts, but before I leave I have a propostion for you all!

Fester was talking to me last night (through my chronic connection) about a 1v1, once off tournament. I'd love to see it go ahead and more than happy to organise it :)

Thing is though, not everyone might be up for 1v1 games so I want to see ideas from everyone here as to what you'd like to see. Then come Sunday or Monday (I'll be on/off throughout the week) I'll set up a poll with the best ideas and we'll roll with that.

NOTE: Unfortunately, a 6v6 tournament will be very unlikely because of the numbers and the organisation involved so we'll limit this to a maximum suggestion of 4v4.

If this all goes ahead, the tournament will run some time between the 10th and 23rd of August.

So lay down the ideas!

eg.
I want to see 3v3 matches with one class limit on each and on cp maps only. I think it'd be the best option for the games because blahblahblah...
or
I'd like to see a 4v4 match up with full team sign ups (as in, people are not randomly assigned to teams upon signing up) on maps like dustbowl and gravelpit. This could open up a fun stopwatch tournament and would blahblahblah....
or
I'd like to see two sepeate tournaments, one small 1v1 and another 3v3 as many 1v1 sign ups are going to be at least halfway decent players and we can't play arena mode on 2+v2+ because of first blood and blahblahblah
And don't flame others ideas just yet, every idea is a valid one and the best or most interesting ones will be added to the poll.

Loud&Clear

Re: Summer tournament - Ideas needed!

Post by Loud&Clear » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:17 pm

I don't like the idea of 1v1 games, at least in TEAM fortress. Who will i blame for losing? :lol:

4v4 tournies would be cool, but like i mentioned so many times on some other thread, this would have to be done in custom maps, if there even are 4v4-only maps out there.

A cool idea would be making mystery-map, auto-class-assign tournies (i hope i'm sounding clear here...): A bunch of people who won't play in the match choose a number of custom maps that were never plaed by the community and all players would be randonmly assigned a class, with a randomly assigned setup. The team who adapts the fastest wins.

Though, there would have to be some rules... An unlucky team who got to have 4 spies certainly wouldn't win a thing.

For exmple, it could be highlander style, meaning the moment someone becomes, say, a pyro, his team-members can't become a pyro.

Doomzor
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Doomzor » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:26 pm

From the top of my head, no weapon restrictions.

Made a second video from one of our 6v6 pugs, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T333Fs1Z9Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keasis

Post by Keasis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm

I vote against 1v1 in TEAM fortress 2.

Also, spies won't stand a chance :Boo:

(KK) Fogold

Post by (KK) Fogold » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm

Advent and Anubis, against everyone else!
Loud&Clear wrote:4v4 tournies would be cool, but like i mentioned so many times on some other thread, this would have to be done in custom maps, if there even are 4v4-only maps out there.
Actually, I think Sharp's cp_Falls would be appropriate for 4 vs 4.

"Pure Fog, Old Boy!"

Sharp Dagger

Post by Sharp Dagger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:50 am

(KK) Fogold wrote: Actually, I think Sharp's cp_Falls would be appropriate for 4 vs 4.
:D

MuG

Post by MuG » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Some good examples of fun small tourneys
Havent played pyro-paintball: but sounds like fun, and every1 can play pyro :)
As for turris, I would love to see a 1vs1 solly tourney with our own crowd, we have plenty of talented sollys.
My own idea is: bball 3vs3, 2 solly+ 1 demo per team. No stickies for attack. Some quality mid-airing fun! :mrgreen:
Also any 1vs1 or 2vs2 tourney could be played on arena maps with scramble turned off obviously. Good way to get quick results(first to 10 wins?) and keeps score easily.
1 class e.g heavy vs heavy
Or mix team. Pyro+ spy tourney. Mayhem, but entertaining.
Even more extreme maybe a 1 vs 2 setup: 1 solly vs 2 scout cup. Would be interesting to see what the end ladder would look like.
Maybe even a modded comp: where solly gets given/ uses cmd "hurtme -200" at start of each round. so 400 hp solly vs 2 scouts. Must be possible to somehow make it fair.
Last bit maybe a bit crazy but could work if setup right

oldmeme

Post by oldmeme » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:56 pm

MuG wrote: Also any 1vs1 or 2vs2 tourney could be played on arena maps with scramble turned off obviously. Good way to get quick results(first to 10 wins?) and keeps score easily.
The only real flaw here is that if we had anything more than 1v1 in arena mode, the first blood will come into effect and likely end the match after one teammate is down (and this cannot be switched off).
I'd love for valve to give the option to turn it off but there's been no word onit for quite some time now :(

I'm loving the rest of those ideas though but uh... what is Pyro paintball precicely? I didn't see a description of it on the link you posted.

Loud&Clear

Post by Loud&Clear » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:25 pm

MuG, the page you posted is completely blank to me. Was it some kind of joke? :lol:

pyro paintball probably involves pyro matches restricted to flaregun-use only

MuG

Post by MuG » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:13 am

@Loud&clear, the links to the ladders of the tourneys are in top right corner, sorry if pic is a bit big, couldnt be arsed to resize it :Confused:
cup.JPG
cup.JPG (78.86 KiB) Viewed 10286 times
That sucks big time about the first blood not being a 1 and 0 cmd meme. Stupid valve :evil:
Does turning crits off totally remove it?
This vid shows what pyro paintball is(crap vid with added micspam). I think its just an instagib mod(1 health for all). dunno about the gravity tho :-? Could be fun tho!