Should The Dead Ringer be banned within the Pugs?

Oldmeme & Chairman's Saturday night fun and games

Should the Dead Ringer be banned?

Yes, ban it! It's far too annoying/overpowered to be played in this 6v6 environment.
59%
No, don't ban it! Without it, we may not see any more spies in these games, and I don't want that.
18%
Possibly, I'm indifferent on the subject.
23%

Total votes: 22

oldmeme

Should The Dead Ringer be banned within the Pugs?

Post by oldmeme » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 pm

Alrighty then folks, there has been some discussion on the last Pug match we had as to whether the infamous Dead Ringer Spy watch alternative should be banned. MeDiC says they are offically banned in the 6v6 TF2 scene, and I've confirmed this earlier on today, they are. The main reason being that it's far too difficult for players to knowingly and properly kill the shifty assailant.

On the other side of this, we are already a fairly lienient croud for these games, having Pyros, Heavies and even Spies being used for full matches which would be a sure-fire rarity for the 6v6 TF2 scene. Arguably, this makes the games a little more fun seeing as you'll never know the enemy team's full class layout. Without the Dead Ringer, we will likely see a huge drop in any more full match Spies in these games, for better or worse.

So what do you think? Can you live without the Dead Ringer? Can you live without Spies?

So vote up!

Crimson Edge
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Should The Dead Ringer be banned within the Pugs?

Post by Crimson Edge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 pm

Last time I checked meme, I was a spy for a chunk of last night and did not use the Dead Ringer, so no the banning of the dead ringer would not in anyway would affect me or any other 'competent' player as a spy.

We banned the sandman because of its annoyance as well as it being banned in 6v6, and the dead ringer is a whole lot worse than the sandman. This is mainly due to the fact that a sandman scout can be dealt with like any other class easily while a dead ringer spy would have to be killed over and over again due to the obscene recharge and re-use rate.

The dead ringer also have properties that result in it being able to stand in a pyros fire for large amounts of time (which a number of people from blu can attest to if they saw me running after Doomzor last night) and a spy can also pick up the intel and run away from a sentry while they are decloaking from their last use.

In the end I'd rather play against an army of sandman using scouts or a army of Fan scouts, as you know they are dead when you kill them over the one spy with the most unbalanced item ever to grace the world of gaming.

MeDiC

Post by MeDiC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:50 am

i think it should be banned. i know these games are just bit of a laugh and i have no problems with spies being used but i think the dead ringer ruins the game :Ban:

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 am

First the sandman, now the dead ringer. Spies are already rare, the dead ringer provides a lot of ways to improve team work (fake death, uncloak when your team mate has came; use dead ringer to detonate enemy stickies; distract an enemy away from your ally; etc). And actually dead ringer spies are only "impossible" or über annoying to kill for dear demos and soldiers (and heavies ofc but those are rare). Demos and soldiers can't chase spies because of their speed, but Medics, Scouts and Pyros the only thing they need is a knowing where the next ammo/medi pack is.

Oh, and let's not forget that thing is loud as hell and can be heard everywhere regardless of walls. You can also check when the spy as died or not by pressing tab and checking if your score increased or not.

(on a side note, it's the second weapon I regularly used that I see banned, and it's not nice to have to adapt to a different weapon every time people start moaning. Demo's are still by far the best class and they're still there, with their stickies and their class limit of 1.)

/rant

Made a second video from one of our 6v6 pugs, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T333Fs1Z9Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MuG

Post by MuG » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:24 am

Simple as this: When u get past a demos stickis and nadespam and you shoot him in the face/burn him/blowhim to bits/stab him in the back or just continuously hit him with a blunt object and he dies. U know he's dead.
Demo OP! Nah! Scouts + pyros are big problem or often a spy stabs me as i lay stickies.
Maybe it's "good" demos you have a problem with? :)

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 am

I'm ok with demos, just saying that a good demo is better for the team than a good soldier or scout and everyone's ok with that.

Would you prefer a spy with dead ringer on your team or an extra soldier? I think most people would pick the extra soldier, correct me if I'm wrong :p At least I think the sandman is on a different league than dead ringer's.

edit: Dead ringer might be too strong in payload maps where everyone's distracted and there are engineers too kill but it's rather hard to make it useful in maps like granary and badlands where scouts are all around and there are no engis. Banning it everywhere is rather dull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T333Fs1Z9Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MeDiC

Post by MeDiC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:20 am

demos r probably too strong and thats the reason they r limitied to 1. if u r suggesting medics should chase around a dead ringer spy then thats total crap. medics have more important role that that in 6v6. i agree a 2nd soldier is way better that a spy on your team but it is just how incredibly annoying it is to play against a dead ringer. you can basically never be killed if u use it properly. its not like u killed a lot of people (anybody?) when using it but you constantly distracted the entire team and thats not what 6v6 is about

rant over :beer:

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:01 am

Ofc I killed people. And why can't I distract the whole team so that my team mates have an easier job? Dead ringer's huge noise is exactly to make sure everyone knows where the spy is.

Ok, the medic's job is not to chase spies. Neither is yours (soldier/demo). Actually only the scout (or pyro, if there was one) should be bothering chasing me. So why did the whole team get distracted in the first place? There's no one forcing you to take the bait ^^ Communication should ensure your backs are safe from knives :tongue:

Sharp Dagger

Post by Sharp Dagger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:29 pm

:Ban:

[tK7]PuBerZ

Post by [tK7]PuBerZ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:54 pm

It's annoying, it's like giving the spy 2 lives. I hate it as much as the Huntsman.