Should The Dead Ringer be banned within the Pugs?

Oldmeme & Chairman's Saturday night fun and games

Should the Dead Ringer be banned?

Yes, ban it! It's far too annoying/overpowered to be played in this 6v6 environment.
59%
No, don't ban it! Without it, we may not see any more spies in these games, and I don't want that.
18%
Possibly, I'm indifferent on the subject.
23%

Total votes: 22

Taekwon-joe
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Should The Dead Ringer be banned within the Pugs?

Post by Taekwon-joe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:07 pm

The thing is even when we hear the dead ringer uncloaking and find him, you shoot him again, he fakes his death, scampers off for health and ammo, repeats process. Its just very annoying knowing that you've shot this guy so many times and yet you will still have to watch your back because he is probably still alive. It makes pushing forward very difficult.

DragoonKnight
Location: In the shadows, waiting persistently for the right moment to strike...

Post by DragoonKnight » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:09 pm

dead ringer can still be flamed even after they feign death once, a pyro can do its job if i w+m1, but it is annoying though :-?
Dare you to enter the Festertrix? Home of the slow motion Weed!
ImageImageImage

Crimson Edge

Post by Crimson Edge » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Distraction with the dead ringer is fairly useless as any spy using the default watch as well as the Cloak & Dagger can provide a greater distraction as well as the more important element, suprise.

A Dead Ringer spy is obvious as hell and brought nothing to the last PuG games as the distractions you so elegently 'provided' where at inopertune moments as the rest of your team was either dead or to far back to take advantage and considering that I ended up wasting 150 units of easily replenishable flamethrower fuel to take you down, which is bullshit considering that I had you in the fire constantly.

And a further note a dead ringer spy is in no way a distraction compaired to any other class such as the pyro when they have broke through the lines and burning the medic and demoman from behind, or the normal spy that gets behind without anyone noticing and then stabbing the whole enemy attacking force and run away forcing any survivors to give chase.

Oh and add to the record there is currently 3 people that voted no but only one person giving a reason so I request that the two votes of no be stricken from the results, aswell as any other vote that has no reason why.

@Dragoon : It's even worse when you waste more than half of a pyros fire of a Dead Ringer due to it being able to nullify its burning and damage properties.

Llama@bad

Post by Llama@bad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 pm

I think there is no need to ban Deadringer, I think in these Matches we have not a real Deadringer Pro Guy here which uses it too its full extend, also I think especialy in a 6vs6 Match its very hard to get behind enemy lines with deadringer, its very very loud at unclock which nobody seems to notice here.

I think whining because of Deadringer in a 6vs6 is the same as whining about other classes.
Deadringer is not a got lifesaver for spy but its not usable for best killing rate...
"I'd like to congradulate Llama on having the longest ever post (LEP) at Fester's Place. And second longest. And third longest. And fourth longest! Long live the king of anti-spam!" by Jonnywhy

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Crimson Edge I guarantee I rarely get away with it when a pyro has detected my presence - DragoonKnight and other pyros have a lot of fun hunting me down 24/7.

The spy is a good decoy since it can fake death after getting a rocket on the face, you didn't get my point and then come back when the enemy isn't expecting it. I often use the noise to confuse people as well. And evaluating by your the way you guys got upset (at least you and Medic), I think I succeeded at luring people (also lets not forget that part of the spy class is to harass people) :) Seriously, why so serious -.-'' If the dead ringer spy brings nothing to 6v6 and is plain useless just leave him alone and do your job capping the point.

I also suggest you to try the Dead ringer in the next 6v6 and try to have some success with it.

Made a second video from one of our 6v6 pugs, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T333Fs1Z9Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Also don't get too picky, if you want to discard "No" votes just because people don't give some reasoning you might as well discard "Yes" votes following the same idea ("It's annoying" is hardly an argument, there are tons of annoying features in the game.).

edit: My googling skills are failing me and I only find the Dead Ringer being banned when all the update new weapons were banned due to drop rates being the only way to get them, making them luck dependent. Could you guys give me the link to where it says it is banned and/or it is discussed why it is banned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T333Fs1Z9Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 pm

the one thing that really annoys me about the Dead Ringer is that when cloaked, Backburner crits don't seem to register.

It's been p1ssing me off lately, as I've been chasing burning spies and not getting my goddamned crits!

I klnow this isn't related to the pugs!

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Actually they do register, backburner kills cloaked spy faster than flamethrower (I do remember one time when you were saying you weren't killing me, dunno why that time it happened but I often get burned to death by backburners when they chase me).

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Oh the hits do register, but they aren't registering as critical hits, which is the whole point of using the backburner.

Doomzor

Post by Doomzor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:53 pm

All crits register, but we can test that later.