alltalk, team talk

Oldmeme & Chairman's Saturday night fun and games
Loud&Clear

alltalk, team talk

Post by Loud&Clear » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm

when i used to play battlefield 2 there was a system where you had both team talk and all talk. Is there any way to make it so on Fester's competitive games? There's nothing better to break the ice than laughing at the guy you brutally murdered.

(example: v key for alltalk, n key for team talk)

Doomzor
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: alltalk, team talk

Post by Doomzor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Hmm you sure chat isn't enough? I was ok with just team talk last saturday.

Made a second video from one of our 6v6 pugs, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T333Fs1Z9Ec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesse_James

Post by Jesse_James » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Dont see the pratical need, but it could be fun.

oldmeme

Post by oldmeme » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 pm

As far as I know, there aren't any major hacks like that yet for the SourceMod, but even if there was, I dunno if we would use it mid-matches. Although it would be handy for setting up teams. An alltalk mod like that could also let players talk even though dead which could lead to some unfairness for ambusher style players.
The common argument against this would often be something along the lines of "But both teams can hear the alltalking player so it balances out", but even if the sneaking Pyro or Heavy (or Spy in certain situations) heard, their main advantage could be soiled and they could do little about it.

EDIT: Not to mention the confusion between distinguishing voices of people on your team. Again, it could be considered something small, but could add to griefing such as shouting out something like "Spy behind!", leaving the enemy team unfairly on edge.
Last edited by oldmeme on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Edge

Post by Crimson Edge » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 pm

and I wouldnt be able to create my patented medic ala barbeque with toppings of chopped up soldier and demomen.

infidel

Post by infidel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:52 pm

vent/teamspeak/mumble for teams...alltalk for gameserver

vent/ts/mumble is good cos you dont have that 500+ms delay between shouting "uber" to your charged medic and being an un-ubered corpse

we have a vent server with teams already setup on it, but for the poor users it's omg, hassles!! :Confused:

kam1kaze

Post by kam1kaze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Could use xfire, it supports up to 50 people and its free.

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_manual_groupvoice/

Haven't tried it with more than 6 players though so not sure how it will compare to vent.

oldmeme

Post by oldmeme » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 pm

infidel wrote: vent/ts/mumble is good cos you dont have that 500+ms delay between shouting "uber" to your charged medic and being an un-ubered corpse
This has certainly changed my view on it alright....
I'd still be a little iffy but I know that millisecond delay has gotten me killed more than a few times. I'll look into Xfire to see how it fairs and the prices for a Vent server and might add it to the weekly round ups alright. Might be next week before we get a certain answer.

infidel

Post by infidel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:31 pm

we have an unused, configured vent server!!!

I in no way support the xfire suggestion. that shite software should not exist and will in no way be gracing my harddrive with it's presence

oldmeme

Post by oldmeme » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:07 pm

infidel wrote:we have an unused, configured vent server!!!
Out of fear of sounding pushy and presumptuous for what you're getting at, I'm going to ask anyway; Could we borrow it for use in the games please, Del? :)