Disk Partition and Drive Copy

For the bits and bobs created by Fester's Place members
BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Disk Partition and Drive Copy

Post by BBloke » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Well I needed a program to copy an entire drive and found this one:

Easeus Copy Software

It's free and does a very simple and easy job. I've just got another 1tb drive but my system can only handle 3 x sata devices. All 3 are taken so I had to move one drive onto the new one. Perfect and simple. With a very easy wizard point and click interface. Couldn't ask for more.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

MuG

Re: Disk Partition and Drive Copy

Post by MuG » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Nice1 bbloke! I gotta do this same thing very soon.
My piece of shit seagate 1Tb is failing, has been odd since i got it(maplin credit note, best thing they had in the shop :mrgreen: , twas either that or maxtor :o ).

I'm currently at 4 HDs + 1 sata dvdrom, brought ma beast to a lan at a mates over xmas and fuck me is it heavy. Don't want any more hds even though my mobo has 6 sata slots. Need bigger drives

So gonna grab a nice samsung 1.5 Tb or even 2 Tb and transfer across my terra of precious media across before it gives up the ghost hopefully.
:Mug:

BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by BBloke » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Sweet Mug... Did you get a hold of SpinRite. Awesome piece of drive maintenance especially if you think it's failing. The program lets you know of any bad sectors but its best to try and sort them out before doing a copy that way. A friend had a bad pagefile.sys file on his drive that stopped window from booting. The old program I used failed during disk copy because of a bad sector. Spinrite corrected it after I'd renamed the file and made windows recreate it. It all worked out great as the drive could then be copied once fixed.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

MountieXXL
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by MountieXXL » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 pm

I use Acronis TrueImage, every now and then they have the second-latest version for free in a random gaming/PC magazine. For dead storage devices I find Testdisk quite nice, recovers things you thought gone forever.. also good for things that got deleted but not erased/overwritten. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I mean, it's all windy stairs. I'm not being funny.

MuG

Post by MuG » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 am

I'll try spinrite if i have any trouble, I used it last time to test 1 of my 640 gb samsung and it did some good thorough tests, which came up clean but drive is still iffy and out of warranty.
The seagate thing is worse it loses the drives(all partitions dissapear) and then reconnects and redetects. So as i wasnt at home at the time i just un plugged it and has been left like since. I think i should get a good solid hour or sos read to copy the stuff off it in batches.
I'll look into repairs sectors and all that malarky if need be. Hopefully not! :mrgreen: