Tired of slow domain name resolutions?

For the bits and bobs created by Fester's Place members
BBloke
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Tired of slow domain name resolutions?

Post by BBloke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 pm

I know the title probably doesn't mean much to most but this is worth considering.

When you browse the web the web address you type is converted into an IP address and you magically end up at the site you want. It's called domain name resolution. It's something your ISP provides for you.

It does a pretty reasonable job but you don't have to stick to them for this service. Believe it or not you can change who provides this service and there is a very good free one out there.

http://www.opendns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The site has complete instructions on how to change your settings to start using them.

It has other features such as content filtering, stat loggin. I've been using it at home and at work for long enough.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Advent

Re: Tired of slow domain name resolutions?

Post by Advent » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Bloke fixed my internets, he is wizard.

Open DNS helped.

"Advent retreats forward" - Supernova

YamNivek

Post by YamNivek » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Is it that much quicker? Surely you have to go through the ISP anyway so wont this add an extra step or am I being a network noob?

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:29 pm

You are given your ISP's DNS server as part of your internet connection. You can change them accordingly so you wont go through your ISPs DNS. Opendns has more dns servers than your ISPs so when your ISP is having trouble you'll still have connection.

Advent's problem was dns related from eircom. You probably wont notice much difference but it's a nice service to be using bu handy to know about it just in case.

Supernova

Post by Supernova » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 pm

I've got a text file containing openDNS settings for my router, when O2's connection is playing up I just telnet into my router and paste the file, but I always put it back a few days later, O2 rarely gives me any problems.

Is there a way to fix openDNS's default search thing... i.e. just type "bacon chocolate extra mature cheddar milk" into firefox's search bar and with O2 it'll do a google search, with openDNS it'll do a silly search :)

YamNivek

Post by YamNivek » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:40 pm

What the fuck are you searching for!!! You scummers eat some weird shit!!

Keasis

Post by Keasis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:42 pm

its code. And that is all you WANT to know.

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 am

Supernova wrote:I've got a text file containing openDNS settings for my router, when O2's connection is playing up I just telnet into my router and paste the file, but I always put it back a few days later, O2 rarely gives me any problems.

Is there a way to fix openDNS's default search thing... i.e. just type "bacon chocolate extra mature cheddar milk" into firefox's search bar and with O2 it'll do a google search, with openDNS it'll do a silly search :)
Never had a problem with google search in FF with opendns. I tend to use the right hand search box, which is set to google.

Although the silly search thing is connected to the keyword website shortcuts you can setup within opendns. So typing Festers into the web address can send you direct to http://www.festersplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 am

BBloke wrote:You are given your ISP's DNS server as part of your internet connection. You can change them accordingly so you wont go through your ISPs DNS. Opendns has more dns servers than your ISPs so when your ISP is having trouble you'll still have connection.

Advent's problem was dns related from eircom. You probably wont notice much difference but it's a nice service to be using bu handy to know about it just in case.

Hmmmm, I've been havin terrible trouble this week with eircom too!

Can barely even get on d'internet!

Perhaps I'll try this when I get home!

Thanatosgratus

Post by Thanatosgratus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0714/eircom.html
That's most likely your problem Lazy