Co-op with more than 4 players: Anyone interested?

Are you interested in playing co-op with up to 8 players?

Yes
90%
No
10%
Other (Post comment :P)
No votes

Total votes: 10

AngryWolf

Co-op with more than 4 players: Anyone interested?

Post by AngryWolf » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:33 am

I am considering hosting a Left 4 Dead 2 dedicated server with a mod that allows us to play co-op campaigns with, let's say, a total of 6 players for example. (I would support up to 8 players to keep it cheap.) Before I invest money in it, I wanna know if there are people interested in such things. An example of what you should expect (already configured on my local dedicated server):

Image Image

I know the client does not let you know about the status of the extra players (no ping info, no health info), I will see what I can do about that.

Also, if you think it would be too easy/boring, we can always raise the difficulty. Or do all sort of crazy things like Super Tanks if I find the addon.

Or to just mention a few more of my ideas, we could increase the number/frequency of hordes, special infected, increase the health pool of the tank, things like that...

I also want to support custom maps.

Please vote, and leave notes, so I know what to expect.

AngryWolf

Re: Co-op with more than 4 players: Anyone interested?

Post by AngryWolf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 am

Thank you for the votes so far guys, but I need more. :) I need to know if there is enough interest to go and buy that server.

Some of us did a test today on my test server on Advanced difficulty (with 5-6 players), and it turned out pretty well:

Image Image Image

Ideas I want to either implement myself or find an addon for (for a start):
  • Character selection: Since we support no lobbies, you could select your character when you connect to the server. (Yes, 8 Zoeys will be supported.) (DONE, with my addon, maybe should ask once per campaign. :))
  • Players listing panel: To easily see who are connected, as the regular HUD cannot tell that. It will disappear automatically in X seconds to avoid blocking sight too much. (Work in progress, with my addon.)
  • Medkits for everyone: Give extra 4 medkits to the survivors per round start in the safe house. (As we support up to 8 players.) (DONE, with my addon. Works, but needs improvements.)
  • Auto-attach laser sight: When you pickup a weapon, you will automatically have the laser sight. For like 6 players I think it is quite useful as we would be easily spamming friendly fire a lot. :) And people love laser sights. (DONE, with downloaded addon.)
  • Harder-to-kill infected: Automatically increase/decrease health/spawn count of special infected and the frequency/headcount of horde based on player count. I think this is nicer than an Expert difficulty, although I still think changing the difficulty should remain useful. (DONE, with my addon.)
That's all for now, I'll keep you posted of further news.
Last edited by AngryWolf on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 am, edited 8 times in total.

Toco
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Toco » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:09 am

where aboots is the server located at angry, i may have to redownload l4d2 if its not smack dab in the middle of unholy ping land and lag central
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:25 am

I plan it to be located in the UK. Most of us are in Europe so it makes sense to have it there. Sorry if that does not work out well for you.

Toco

Post by Toco » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:03 am

i was more worried it would be in russia or something stupid like that, UK is bout as good as i could hope for
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

Fester
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Fester » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:38 am

might not be a bad idea at all for a few zombie mashing hours every now and then :D

AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:57 pm

We have a server now hosted at gameservers.com, located in Netherlands, as UK was not available, but you get just as good pings:

If you are the first player, you can connect to it via console (or you can add it to your favourite servers in Steam):

connect angrywolf.clanservers.com

Apart from me, Anubis is also an admin there. If there are no admins online, you can still !nominate and !rtv.

Thanks for everyone who helped me test the server! Still lots of fixes to come but we're making a progress.

PS.: it's not a clan server! :) And I'm not in a clan. Never was.
Last edited by AngryWolf on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 am

Update:

For easier connection to the server, I assigned a steam group to the server:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/aw8pcoop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By joining this group, you can use it to create lobbies using this server, but such lobbies only support a maximum of 4 players. Yet if you guys find it useful, here you go.

AngryWolf

Post by AngryWolf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi All,

I am sorry to say I have to say goodbye to this server for the following reason: we lost interest (well, I too), noone has been playing there for a long time now and it is not worth to pay the monthly cost anymore.

So thanks for the forum category title named after me, I have to take that back too.

I hope you understand and thanks for everyone playing there!

Server closed!

[KBH] Fist of death

Post by [KBH] Fist of death » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 pm

It was a fun server when we did play it, thanks Wolf

Fist