What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: L4D Main Server

Post by BBloke » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:12 pm

FoxoF wrote:No. It's just these problems:

- L4D is being shafted by valve
- Custom content is damn near impossible to distribute and use easily
- No new campaigns released
- The director really doesn't do much to stop repetitiveness
Well whether L4D is being shafted by Valve truly remains to be seen. Consider that they have put effort into L4D with survival mode and the release of the two other maps to Versus mode and then stump up a major double update for TF2. I think they are just short on time.

With the DLC custom content will always be more difficult to distribute but far from impossible.

See first paragraph.. same applies here.

In a lineal game it would be hard to diversify game play to reduce repetitiveness... hence L4D2... even that, after time will seem repetitive as all games generally do.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

FoxoF

Post by FoxoF » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:48 pm

BBloke wrote:
FoxoF wrote: after time will seem repetitive as all games generally do.
Just to prove you wrong I'd like to mention Tetris. It never gets boring or repetitive! (That isn't a joke or sarcasm - I am serious)

FoxoF

Post by FoxoF » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:20 pm

jased10s wrote:just to make a point about all the bitching about valve foxy. Why the fuck do people think they can moan about no DLC and then moan DLC ruins the gameplay cause its crap . I remember a time when u brought a game and that was it u had just what u had THE GAME....

to many sweets in the sweet shop i think.
Valve were great in my eyes until l4d2. I had no issues with DLC etc.

The problem is l4d and l4d2 aren't by valve but by Turtle Rock Studios who should have taken a leaf out of valve's book. I just think 364 days is a little fast for a sequel when all the new content looks more like a DLC pack than an entirely new game. If they just need more money they should really just have made it a $20 DLC which is acceptable for the new content.

It's not that I dont like valve. I just dont like how l4d was handled. I thought l4d2 was a joke when I first heard it.

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Any game is repetitive the key is finding one that surpasses the analagy and is just great on an entertaining level. Tetris is a good example but one mans beer is another mans poison. Games, for me are for enjoyment, some more than others. The ones that fall short are the ones that are repetitive and close to being boring.

I recall someone posting a rather good link on the L4D2 argument and it was a sound one. If valve are milking L4D then so be it. It's there's to milk and it's a great game with an enjoyable style. It's certainly well developed and that's from the get go of installing it and picking it up to the last minute you put it down.

There's no denying that what Valve did in developing L4D was a master stroke for them and why re-invent the wheel when all they have to do is tweak what they already have. So what if they wish to call it L4D2 and release a new title. So what if the new game is something we have to pay for. If it's worth it then it's worth it.

I remember my flying days originally the game was Il2 Sturmovik and centered around the Eastern Front and russian planes. They improved on it and re-released the game as IL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles. Of course you needed to buy it but no one cared. It had more planes and tweaks and mission to be flown. There were subsequent updates adding yet more content. In order for the developer to continue offering updates the release another add-on: Aces Expansion. The arena moved over to other war fronts included Africa. It added more planes and still no one cared that you had to buy it.

Still the developers continued to update and offer new content for nothing but there came another time when a new paid add-on was born: Pacific Fighters. The war front expanded into the pacific and covered the war between America and Japan. More planes, more maps, more mission, carrier take offs and landings, new damage models, new tweaks.

Finally they released their last offering in the range, IL2: 1946. Again more planes, some german experimental planes, more maps and missions etc. Rinse and repeat.

Valve have very rarely milked anything so you can't fault them for wanting to give their fans something to look forward to and make a few bucks in the process. They've had winners with all their titles they have released and ponyied up some major updates for free on the way. If support them means putting your hand in your pocket then it's a worthy cause. Unless you're a torrent freak :)

FullMetal_old

Post by FullMetal_old » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Left 4 Dead has zombies in it

DragoonKnight
Location: In the shadows, waiting persistently for the right moment to strike...

Post by DragoonKnight » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 pm

[quote="jased10s"]i truly think as a human race we are fucked.
all we do is moan cause we dont get what we want.
we pirate games and crack any new encryption at developers cost
we moan nothing new is out
we download pirate movies
we complain about our net speedquote]

You are a pirate! :HJ:
Dare you to enter the Festertrix? Home of the slow motion Weed!
ImageImageImage

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:11 am

Nah! Jase is just showing his age :shock: :roll: :tongue: