Spectator oddity

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Spectator oddity

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 am

Was playing a versus game on festers earlier and an odd thing happened. Ruairio lagged out and had to restart. just after he joined Knails joined as well. Ruario joined his team and knails ended up spectating!! The server was 9/8 :o

Twas a particularly good game on dead air. Our survivor team got through 3 tanks in the finale and just as the door of the plane was opening, a fourth tank came and downed all of us with one baggage thingy. So God dam close :roll: :mrgreen:
Nicely done Bbloke!!

QuintusEques
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Re: Spectator oddity

Post by QuintusEques » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:14 am

That may have been the best bot tank i have ever seen.
"Quintus, I'm glad you're not on my team." -Del

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 am

Was that still the bot. Grrr now I feel cheated :twisted:
Nicely done Bbloke!!

Exterminatus
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Exterminatus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:50 am

Even the last-ditch finale tanks are player controlled, very unlikely that it was a bot
More on topic - versus games have 12 slots - 4 survivors, 4 infected and 4 specs. It's just fester's server seems to have closed the spec slots for some reason :|
Great job, BBloke!

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:01 am

Exterminatus wrote:Even the last-ditch finale tanks are player controlled, very unlikely that it was a bot
Unless it happened before the player took control. It was pretty quick. I didn't even hear the music.
Exterminatus wrote:More on topic - versus games have 12 slots - 4 survivors, 4 infected and 4 specs. It's just fester's server seems to have closed the spec slots for some reason :|
Oh really! That could be really handy for people wanting to join games.
Nicely done Bbloke!!

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:40 am

I noticed it too. Not sure if the recent update has changed things but in general the server config by default pegs max players at 14. There is something that limits this down to 8 on Versus. Bearing in mind that you are not allowed to spectate when you have been playing although you can switch sides once per round (without disconnecting).

It may be a burp with the files from Valve. Considering that they quite happily screwed up dedicated server boxes running in LAN mode straight after updating it wouldn't surprise me. They threw another quick patch out to allow ded servers to resume normal service.

I've been trying to find how it's possible to open more slots to allow for specs so that people can join a "queue" so to speak but that management is left down to the team during the game.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Exterminatus
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Exterminatus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:33 am

dintbo(aka bosco) wrote:Oh really! That could be really handy for people wanting to join games.
Indeed, but like BBloke said for some reason ANY L4D server I've seen doesn't allow specs, with the exception of being Idle on campaigns.
Though.. could it be possible that those 4 slots are simply taken by the AI (Louis and company)? It makes some sense when ya think about it. Maybe we should ask Valve or lurk on their forums and see what's what (prefferably not in the butt).
Great job, BBloke!

FullMetal_old

Post by FullMetal_old » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I loved that game last night when bosco was screaming and shouting 'WERE GETTING RAPED!! OOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' Haha, we were terrible compared to the other team

Knails

Post by Knails » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:27 pm

I did it on another server too. but I can only do it when I click a join game link from a steam window when no games are open. and it would appear that people need to join at the same time to fill the server. Might just be a weird, or I'm just awesome.

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Not meaning to take away from your awesomeness but it happened with Lazy eagle yesterday as well. Though he is pretty awesome so who knows.
Nicely done Bbloke!!