Make your mind up...

FullMetal_old
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Make your mind up...

Post by FullMetal_old » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 pm

So recently I've been getting kicked cause I would join the game when people had dc'd or crashed which was annoying but I didnt mind. Fester told me It was first come first serve to join the server if someone hadnt crashed or dc'd. So tonight I waited to join the game for a while, finally able to join and I was kicked. The reason...the spot was saved for someone else, they hadnt crashed or dc'd. It was saved, this is stupid tbh because is there actually any rules or can admins just make rules every second they want to? I wait for a while to join but after all it's first come first serve so I shouldnt have been kicked. Make your mind up about what happens on the server. :-?

ScrappyD2o

Re: Make your mind up...

Post by ScrappyD2o » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:16 pm

:beer:
Last edited by ScrappyD2o on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnimus Prime
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Johnimus Prime » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 pm

Metal. I can appreciate your frustration at being kicked, but the reasons as to why you were kicked were explained to you, (by Fester himself), and you have clearly understood these. Yet still choose to publicly flame admins for being unfair.

L4D is an 8 slot game, so not everyone is going to be able to get on. You are not the only other person this has happened to, and you won't be the last. It is not unfair for the players in game to invite friends waiting to join the game if a slot becomes available. If you are not top of the list, second or even third on the list then I'm afraid you just have to wait your turn.

We have 2 L4D servers, so I would suggest getting another game setup over there in the future. If both servers are full then join a game elsewhere and wait to be invited back to the game on Festers as and when a slot is available.

Please can any players who feel they have been treated unfairly make sure to PM an admin via steam friends or by PM. A list of the admins can be found here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Publicly flaming admins is not cool. We don't do it to you, so don't expect to get it ourselves. There are ways and means of dealing with situations people, but here ain't the place!
"Quit your whinging, lets start binging'"

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 am

The server Gods have been good to us and provided us with 2 l4d servers i will add the information to the forum again about the second server as it was removed when it was not getting used but i think shall be left up from now on..

so in such a case as all slots are taken there will be the chance to start another game on the second server...

a que always seems to form when a game is going.. i for one and i don't know about others get msg's regular while playing "let me know when next slot is free" and i myself seem to join a lot of the games this way waiting for a slot to open and not just jump on when i see that there is 7/8 on the server.. so folks if the que has gotten 2 long why not get another going on the other server

other server info

L4D.FesterPlace.com:27018

BBloke

Post by BBloke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am

I find there is little to make up "our" minds on. If you are asking the question with a comparison to TF2 then I'd have to say that in itself is a misconception.

L4D is different to TF2 in regards to slots and availability. Availability and slots go hand in hand in making it a difficult game to join. I know most have been on the receiving end of 30mins - 1hr wait and sometimes more.

To be honest, to see the server as a first come first served basis is just folly. I don't believe you can just "turn up" and assume anything other than "Am I taking up some one's slot?" and ask that very question.

Most games are started by at least eight players dropping out of TF2 and jumping on L4D. Most slots are already pre-taken by those willing to play. The general last 2 slots are filled via invites. Most games that I have played that have started like this have very like minded players which makes for "their kinda game". This for me gives those already playing particular ownership of that game. They therefore should be able to decide who joins and who may have already asked to join and is just waiting on firing up the game.

As the sayings go "If you're names not down you're not coming in" - "when in Rome".

Why not ask the question "Am I taking up a slot?" and don't be surprised if you are.

On a last note I think it's worth mentioning that there are in game options to help admin the server. Please don't make a point of bashing Admins, sending obnoxious steam messages when in game tools are available to allow anyone to administer the server. This is not me posting as an admin. It's simply a post to show courtesy, good manners and above all else a good upbringing.
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

Toco

Post by Toco » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:23 pm

metal all i gotta say is its not just u yesterday we had to ask bbloke to leave as well as u we arnt picking on u because ur u although im sure the thought has occured to many of us from time to time, hell myself ive been told theres a slot get there and its full, nothin bugs me more then leaving 1 game for another for it to be full but thats what happens
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

black_feather

Post by black_feather » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:49 pm

I do that to you deliberatly toco just to piss you off :D I invite someone then when they say they are coming I invite you :D

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:08 am

Yeah, me too Toco!

]I love seeing you go nuts on the Steam Chat

dintbo(aka bosco)
Site Admin

Post by dintbo(aka bosco) » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:37 am

Howdy Lazy. How was Munich?

:HJ:
Nicely done Bbloke!!

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am

it was alright, although I think I shot myself in the foot a bit.

Not really caring to be there at all, I decided the position I was going to take was that of pointing out all the holes in their ideas and asking a load of near unanswerable questions.

More fool me, it seems they think I'm the man, and want me to devote 50% of my time to the project....which of course includes more trips to Munich!