What to do when you suspect someone of cheating?

Hackers and crackers, Report them here
RoVaDo

What to do when you suspect someone of cheating?

Post by RoVaDo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:32 pm

So, here are the main things you should do if you suspect someone to cheat.
If I forgot anything, just mention so in this topic, and I'll add it. Cheers. :ugeek:

Well, I think most of us know how it goes, you're having fun on a server,
and suddenly a cheater ruins your fun, now. I don't know why,
but they seem to like it.
This is how you stop it from happening. :

1. If you suspect a player of being a cheater, don't mention this ingame or over voice,
but keep this to yourself, or mention it over steam chat to a regular or admin.
2. Spectate the person in question, see if he really is cheating, if you're not completely sure, you could, like mentioned above, ask a reg or admin to spectate too.
3. If you've found out he or she is a cheater, make a demo of it! Do this by typing.
'record <name>' in the console. i.e. ; record cheater.
4. Send the demo to one of our beloved admins.
5. Try to add him to friends, if you added him, you can see his aliases from there.

Hope this guide helps guys, did I miss anything? Thanks!
Rov.

vonklinkerhoffen

Re: What to do when you suspect someone of cheating?

Post by vonklinkerhoffen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 am

VAC is a joke, VAC = Valve Accepts Cheaters.
PLaying yesterday on an Arena server, map Ravine and a cheater comes in. Speedhack + aimbot so it was really obvious.He was playing as sniper
Several asked him to stop but no reaction.
No admin around so the server just dried up, everyone left one by one. Sad...really

Votekick or voteban would have been great at such moments...
Just wanted to vent, because I think that on Fester there is always a game admin around and if not, you dont have to look far (steam friends network)

baggheed
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by baggheed » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:00 am

i think its really sad that any individuall has to cheat at a game that is there,for me anyway,as more of a social thing than a gameing thing.what is there to gain?? u should be ashamed and if caught banned forever!!!!!!!!!!!
?

Toco
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 70

Post by Toco » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:27 am

amen baggie
EH! Oh! Canada go! - Team Canadas 2010 offical olympic Chant
:Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi: :Engi:

dorino

Post by dorino » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:23 am

VAC has a lot of fail mixed into it, in order to make sure people are cheating consistently, once a hack is detected valve purposely delays punishing the users for up to a couple weeks. :?

Zed
What is 3hirty p1us 4orty?: 4

Post by Zed » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:17 am

and then they ban your friends for fun! :mrgreen:

Engima

Post by Engima » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:36 am

I have experienced a cheat recently on here, I won't mention his name but most know who it is and agree with me.

Anyway, those who know I have been playing this server and also with the locals before this server was existed know I don't call cheat unless I'm absolutely sure.

After spec'ing this player many times I am absolutely sure he is cheating and so are the others who agree with me. If the others who agree with me want to make themselves known to the admins it will help, if you haven't done so already. If you don't want to get involved, don't worry I shall take it up on my own.

Anyway so I recorded this video of his exploits and followed some instructions on how to record the demo and convert it to a AVI so it could be shared with others. This took bloody ages!

Now the problem I have is, the AVI files are absolutely huge with the largest one being 4gb. There are two problems here;
1. How do I edit the files down? (Sorry I have never played with any video editing software)
2. These files are still going to be far too big so how the hell do I get them to an admin if I can get them down to a reasonable size? Do we have a FTP site for this purpose? Or do I need to find some server to upload the files too?

Thanks,
Lee.
Your right fester.

Apologies for posting drunk and being a bit out of whack with the topic.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am

jeez lee, you have gone to a lot of effort, for me a game demo file is sufficient and small.

If you can upload a game demo with a note saying what times into the demo you suspect the cheating is at, it'll save you the time and effort of having to edit big arse videos.

did you record the demo ingame w/ "record <demo>" or did you use fraps or something and record video directly?

I've something set up for uploading cheater files, but not gone public with it yet. I'll pm you the deets, you can be a guinea pig

Sorry if you have gone to extra effort, but didnt want to update this post until after the move

Engima

Post by Engima » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply Del.

I just dislike cheats ruining a damn good server.

There are many better players than me and certainly many better snipers (Zed/FullMetal/Von etc) and this is cool because I just have to find ways of getting one up on them but after playing for sometime, it's fairly obvious when someone is cheating.
Your right fester.

Apologies for posting drunk and being a bit out of whack with the topic.

LazyEagle

Post by LazyEagle » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:23 am

Jaysus Enigma, your post and the trouble you have obviously gone to really makes me want to know the name of this cheater!

NAME AND SHAME! NAME AND SHAME!!!!

(I know the rules have to be abidded by in this matter, but as you already have the video proof, I can't wait for this tosser to get his just desserts)